Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (
-   Transmission - Rearend (
-   -   4L60E to 4L80 swap (

Bigdaddy68ss 04-24-2013 08:48 AM

4L60E to 4L80 swap
I have an 05 sierra, the 4l60e sucks and is going downhill. Looked into a new trans and have been doing my research.. One of my teachers tells me you can swap a 4l60e for the 4l80e, with a few modifications. He has not done it himself he says but tells me hes seen people who have. Does anyone know of this swap and can shed light on all the situation and clue me into the changes id need to make to the 4l80e to get it to function properly within the 1500 sierra..

flynbrian48 04-24-2013 06:42 PM

You'll need to have the ECM reflashed and modify the harness for the new trans. has pinouts for the harness change. I did the reverse, went from a 4L60 to 4L80 due to the big difference in size of the trans.

Bigdaddy68ss 04-24-2013 08:01 PM

Thanks brother

Kawabuggy 04-30-2013 05:57 PM

I have done a few of these conversions.. So, here's a quick list of what *may* need to be changed/modified/altered/replaced:
1. Cooler lines (the later 80's have cooler lines that are spaced farther apart. 97 & later will have this. The earlier ones will have the lines closer together just like the 4L60E, TH-350, TH-700R4. You want the LATER 80e's though (97 & on) as they have some internal GM updates to make them a bit stronger than the predecessors.
2. Cross-member location will change as the mount sits further back on the 80. Think cut, re-weld, or buy after-market or universal cross-member kit.
3. Output shaft on an 80E is LARGER and has a higher spline count so you will need an 80 or TH-400 yoke.
4. Driveshaft length will change as the 80E is longer than the 60.
5. The wiring harness will have to be modified, or purchase an after-market harness, or re-pin the existing harness.
6. The PCM will have to be re-flashed to work properly. We have seen several attempts at local "tuner shops" to modify the 60e program but IT DOES NOT WORK. You MUST reflash the PCM.
7. The floor pan, or transmission tunnel, may have to be "modified" for the larger trans to fit.
8. On some vehicles that have the exhaust cross over, or under, or around, the transmission, the exhaust will have to be cut out for clearance and be re-worked to fit around the trans.
9. On some 80E's there are 2 speed sensors. You only need to connect to the one closest to the rear of the transmission. Your electrical connector may, or may not, reach the speed sensor on the 80E as it is on the drivers side, and the 60E is on the passenger side (1996 & later, earlier 60E's had it on the drivers side as well).

There are a couple things I'm forgetting but I'm in a rush.. Sorry.

Kawabuggy 04-30-2013 06:01 PM

Also forgot you will need a torque converter as the 60E will not work, filler tube may or may not work, the flex-plate may work with modification (welding, drilling extra holes) or you may need to purchase a specialty adapter flex plate to work with your engine/80E combo...

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.