4l60e 4x4 problem. Loud Clicking!! - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by white99dime
is the metal hard? or is it really weak?
The piece of metal i pulled out was pretty hard. Hard to bend. Def steel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2012, 12:02 AM

Last journal entry: My Dime, One day VERY SOON she will shine :)
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327amc
The piece of metal i pulled out was pretty hard. Hard to bend. Def steel.

What I am wondering is, it looks like part of a retaining clip. The only one I can think of is the one that holds the 3/4 check ball in place for the exhaust valve for the 3/4 clutch pack. I wonder if that thing somehow exploded and traveled through the valvebody. How much metal is there throughout?

That pressure sensor (big flat thing with electrical connections and 5 bolts) has SENSITIVE pads that fit over orifices. Those "pads" are REALLY sensitive.

That bulb looking thing is your forward accumulator. It has a spring or two, and a pin, and the accumulator. It did not come from that. Had to come from the other side which is your manual valve tube/body. The manual valve is hooked to the manual link, which is hooked to the parking pawl. The area back in there IIRC is nothing. The manual valve does not go all the way back I believe. Reason I say this is that the rod, the manual valve its self is not as long as the valve body.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:11 AM

Last photo:

Old 02-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:

Quote:
What I am wondering is, it looks like part of a retaining clip. The only one I can think of is the one that holds the 3/4 check ball in place for the exhaust valve for the 3/4 clutch pack. I wonder if that thing somehow exploded and traveled through the valvebody. How much metal is there throughout?
Great info.
That is all the metal I could find. And I was thinking 'retaining clip' when I seen it. But Never been into one of these, so dont know if it had any or what size they are. But its flat metal. Not 'wire' like a 'wire' type retaining clip. Kinda like an 'E' clip? It was a blued or blackened kind of metal. Kinda like it was a small piece from the Force Motor retaining clip. Which its obviously not. But looked like that type of metal and shape.

This 'clicking/tapping' noise used to only happen in reverse. Now it has happened once so far in drive. Oddly, right around 3rd to 4th (I think...wasnt expecting it) on the highway.

So, without a retaining clip in 3/4, what symptom might occur?

I actually have that whole dvd. I bought it years ago. Figured I would need it since these trannys are junk.

Last edited by 327amc; 02-02-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:28 AM

Last photo:

there are only 2 clips I know of. That blued black type of metal has me worried though. Does it look like those valves? The two I know of are for reverse and one is for a 3/4 clutch pack and sits in the valvebody or the case.. think it is valve body.. that video will tell you.. the reverse sits in the case though.. my bet is on the 3/4 check ball pocket being worn. here are those pics:

Quote:
Did you do the update where you take the check ball out of that orifice to exhaust the rear/low drum oil after selecting out of Reverse?

It sits right next to the hole you check the *low reverse clutch pack* apply piston with air..

After looking at it that is exactly what it is. I bet that ball is banging around in there now.

That video is excellent! I just rebuilt mine with it.. although I used some aftermarket parts and upgraded to the 65E with thrust bearings instead of the thrust washers.

I have a rebuild thread I am SLOWLY working on.. http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f13/re...s-week-484897/
Old 02-02-2012, 12:36 AM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:

The sound is definitely a steel against aluminum sound. Very distinct.

I cant quite see the 'clips' in the pics.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:30 AM

Last photo:

they are round, they fit the diameter of the bore and have 2 prongs that keep the ball bearing in place.

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...60E-4L65Eservo

Old 02-02-2012, 06:12 PM

Last photo:

mess around with it any more today?
Old 02-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:

Im driving it. Prolly wont mess with it again until it blows or has more symptoms.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:45 AM

Last journal entry: more photos
Last photo:

from what im hearing u may also pull the rear end stumps pan and look at the spider gear pins and be shure the bolt hasnt snaped and letting the pin slide because ive had this happen in my 83 gmc,may not be the problem but wont hurt to check
Old 02-03-2012, 06:26 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

[QUOTE=white99dime]What I am wondering is, it looks like part of a retaining clip. The only one I can think of is the one that holds the 3/4 check ball in place for the exhaust valve for the 3/4 clutch pack. I wonder if that thing somehow exploded and traveled through the valvebody. How much metal is there throughout?

That pressure sensor (big flat thing with electrical connections and 5 bolts) has SENSITIVE pads that fit over orifices. Those "pads" are REALLY sensitive.

That bulb looking thing is your forward accumulator. It has a spring or two, and a pin, and the accumulator. It did not come from that. Had to come from the other side which is your manual valve tube/body. The manual valve is hooked to the manual link, which is hooked to the parking pawl. The area back in there IIRC is nothing. The manual valve does not go all the way back I believe. Reason I say this is that the rod, the manual valve its self is not as long as the valve body.

there is no retaining clip that secures the 3-4 capsule in the case. it takes a hammer and punch to install into the case.
to the OP. from what i can see, the piece you found looks like part of a washer for 1 of the planetary gear sets.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:29 PM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=tnsmith10]
Quote:

there is no retaining clip that secures the 3-4 capsule in the case. it takes a hammer and punch to install into the case.
to the OP. from what i can see, the piece you found looks like part of a washer for 1 of the planetary gear sets.
but if the retainer broke, it would look like what he was pulling out.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:03 PM

flywheel or torque converter would lean toward the flywheel
Old 02-23-2012, 10:09 PM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:

Ive checked the flywheel visually. But I know thats probably not good enough. And it does kinda sound like that. Its not a sound thats insulated by much at all. At the most, it sounds like a flimsy piece of steel is tapping/slapping on the inside of an oil pan. So if it were deep inside the tranny, it would sound quite different.
Oh well. She still drives for now.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.