4l60e 4x4 problem. Loud Clicking!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

4l60e 4x4 problem. Loud Clicking!!

Ok. Ive only noticed this when 4x4 was involved.

The patient is 96' Silverado 305/4l60e 4x4

Has no push button 4x4. Its automatic (10sec or so) once you shift on the floor.
When shifted into 4hi, and only in reverse, when i hit the gas there is a heavy metallic clicking sound. Imagine something like a piece of metal clicking on some bicycle spokes. Only a bit more sickening sounding.

In forward, no noise at all.

I tried with 4x4 off, and still in reverse get the noise.

Then yesterday, shifted into 4x4 to get up a slimy hill, and seemed like it took a long time for the 4x4 indicator light on the floor to light up. (The front wheels light up on the floor image)

And so i proceeded to try to get up the hill, and in reverse was getting that clicking sound again. And then i noticed, the 4x4 light on the floor was no longer on. And confirmed the front wheels werent moving aswell.
No amount of shifting around helped.

I did put it in 4low, and in reverse, the clicking didnt happen.

I havent confirmed since then, if i can make it happen anymore or not. Just wanted to get home and sleep.

uhg.... i hate these ****ING trannies!!!!!!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

If the noise is there with 4x4 involved , the 4x4 light not operating correctly , I would look at the t-case servo motor.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:26 PM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:

Well. I have lived with the clicking so far.

It occurs in 4wd and 2wd both. But ONLY in reverse. And it doesnt happen all the time. Some days it will happen with the slightest touch on the pedal in reverse. Other days, i can mash reverse, and it wont do it at all.

It sounds like a metal object is tapping on the inside of the tranny pan. But i cant get under the truck while hitting the gas to actually pin point the sound. Could be coming from anywhere really.

Anyone ever had this occur.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:56 PM

Last photo:

Have you tried running in manual low (1st gear) in the transmission. This brings on the same clutch pack as reverse. Maybe theres a problem in the back of the trans?

Probably would be good, if you could figure out the noise frequency. What I mean is. Is it like: engine speed, driveline speed or wheel speed? That the noise seems to spin or rattle with. If you can figure a rotating speed with the noise, it may get you closer.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:41 AM

Last photo:

its a transfercase problem , when you unlock the transfer case theres a overruning clutch that unlocks so it will be in 2 wd I will check my GM Factory manual for you . it might take a day to get the proper diagnoisis ( A.K.A. allot of reading .
Old 12-01-2009, 02:23 PM

Last photo:

according to the Gm Manuals ( SVG books ) , either you linkage is out of adjustment allowing it not to engage the gear properly and activating the switch to turn the locking unit on the axle on ( bulb heater and light activator ) Or the cam the linkage is hooked to in the transfer case is worn out or its bushings are worn , I would try to adjust the linkage first ( also see if anything is binding it up like the body and check for broken mounts on the cab and driveline to cause a misasjustment ) before tearing into the transfer case as its a pain .
Old 12-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:

Thanks for the great replys. I will check it out!
Old 01-22-2012, 11:56 AM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:

Ok. Ive been living with the "rattle/clicking" ever since I first posted about it.

Let me describe more accurately what it sounds like. It sounds like a thin piece of sheet metal and something metal tapping on it at a regular interval. Imagine a full auto BB gun shooting a piece of sheet metal. Yet you can increase or decrease the rate of 'tapping' with more or less accelerator.

I know before, i said it sounded like something tapping the inside of the tranny pan, but the sound, sounds too 'tin' like to be that. All the fluid in the pan would make any tapping, sound like a duller 'thud' type sound. Ive tried and tried to get video of it, but it only happens when it wants to.

Now it happened in drive. Before, it would ONLY happen in reverse. And then only sometimes.
I was driving down the highway. Had to slow down for some traffic. Started to speed back up, and when she got into high gear, or lock out (wasnt paying attention) the tapping started. It speeds up with more accelerator. And completely stops when off the accelerator. And doesnt tap when only lightly on the accelerator. If I had to guess, it seems to be at engine speed rather than tranny speed. Since this time, my wheels were going 50ish. And it wasnt tapping any faster than those times when I was in reverse. And ofcourse, i can manipulate the speed of it by feathering the pedal.

So anyways, I let off the gas after playing with the sound for a few seconds. It stopped ofcourse. I immediately got off the highway and took backroads home. Still the sound was gone. I got on a long stretch, and got up to speed, trying to make it happen again. Still no sound. And all functions seemed normal. As they always have, even during the tapping sound.
I got home, and gave it hell in the drive way. I held the vid cam under the truck while doing burnouts in forward and reverse in hopes that would do it one more time. Nothing. No tapping. WTF?!

If you recall the back story on this massive piece of crap truck, you might remember I once found the drivers side, rear main bolt hanging out of the rear cap when I dropped the pan to change the oil pump.
This bolt was fully hanging out of the engine, resting on the valley pan/windage tray thing.

I dont know if this is what the tapping sound is. But If I were to tap a bolt against that windage tray rapidly, as best as I could imagine, that would be a VERY accurate representation of what the sound might sound like.

Why it would tap only sometimes, and only forever in reverse? Who knows?

So, I guess I gotta pull the oil pan off again and have a look. Unless someone has a better idea.

The engine light has never come one, and no knock codes, during any of these tapping sessions.

Another thing I just remembered. Years back, I blew a rear brake line. It was winter. I stopped on some ice, and put it in park from drive, but apparently the rear wheels were still turning (cause no rear brakes). And got an aweful loud clicking sound from the tranny at that moment as the rear wheels slowed down.
Best I can remember, this was a slightly different clicking sound (tone) but was at a lower speed so could just sound different from that.

The current clicking sound, sounds so hollow and un impeded by fluid, that it almost rules out the tranny for me. But
Old 01-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:

Think im gonna drain the oil (brand new Amsoil DOH! ) and snake a metal rod through the drain hole and tap on the windage tray and see if I can get some kind of sound first off.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:03 PM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:

The more I think about it, this dont sound like the sound. Not 'tin like' enough. This is more of a deep metallic sound. But gonna post it anyways.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udk-z...ature=youtu.be

http://youtu.be/Udk-zzJfi_8
Old 01-22-2012, 05:37 PM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:

I dropped the pan. All looked normal. The main bolt hasnt fallen out. So rules that out I guess.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:20 PM

loud clicking

check your flywheel around the bolts on the crank for cracks. have seen that alot.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:

Will do. I looked it over as best I could without actually moving it. Didnt see anything really obvious. The weight isnt loose. I will check it closer.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:03 AM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:

Checked around the flywheel. Everything looks fine there visually. Couldnt flex it anywhere by hand. And their didnt look to be an shiny metal spots where something might be hitting, or metal dust.

So I dropped the tranny pan. Didnt find much. Everything looked pretty clean. But im not a tranny expert. I pulled the filter apart and didnt find anything up in it either.

I did find one small piece of metal sticking out of a slot in the valve body.

Would putting the tranny in park while the rear wheels are still turning cause such a symptom?

If none of this looks very bad, im gonna lean toward the torque converter next. ? The 'clicking' sound could kinda sound like 'fins' hitting something.
I just dont understand why, for years, it would only occur in reverse (and only occasionally). And now the other day it happened while cruisin.
Thanks guys for readin this far. Your input is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:19 PM

Last journal entry: My Dime, One day VERY SOON she will shine :)
Last photo:

is the metal hard? or is it really weak?

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.