4L60E and 700R4 similarities - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2005, 04:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

4L60E and 700R4 similarities

Let's say you wanted to convert your LT-1 engine out of a '95 Camaro to carb and rear position distributor and get rid of the computer. Is there a way to get the 4L60e to work with this engine configuration or would you have to go to the 700R4? Will the 700R4 bolt up to the LT1? What is needed to make this swap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2005, 05:23 PM
bobs77vet

Last journal entry: frame repair
Last photo:

bowtie overdrives is a great resource

www.700r4.com
Old 12-17-2005, 08:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr
Let's say you wanted to convert your LT-1 engine out of a '95 Camaro to carb and rear position distributor and get rid of the computer. Is there a way to get the 4L60e to work with this engine configuration or would you have to go to the 700R4? Will the 700R4 bolt up to the LT1? What is needed to make this swap?

Non computer controlled 700 / 4L60 will bolt to the engine.

The 4l60E needs a computer to control pressures & shifts..... or convert the 4L60E to full manual shift with vacuum control main line pressure
Old 12-18-2005, 09:55 AM

Thanks. Now . . .

Does this go for the flexplate and torque converter as well? Are they interchangable? What is the difference between a non-computer 4L60 and a 700R4? Which should I seek out? Now if I can just find someone who wants to swap!!!
Old 12-18-2005, 10:16 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Does this go for the flexplate and torque converter as well? Are they interchangable? What is the difference between a non-computer 4L60 and a 700R4? Which should I seek out? Now if I can just find someone who wants to swap!!!
Make sure you have the correct flexplate for the engine. The bolt pattern for the converter will bolt to any 700 / 4L60 converter for V8's. 3 piece 4L60/65E trannys use different converter bolt pattern( bell housing unbolts)

the V8 style 4L60 and 700 are the same. the converters are the same , the flex plates bolt pattern for converter are the same. All bolts are still metric. 700 trannys have always been fully metric.

there are minor differences in 700r4 & 4L60's, but they all interchange parts. Later design parts are better. Some valve bodies & separator plates do not inter change from late to early design

700r4 name was changed to 4L60 when GM updated several areas of the trannys. Parts are basically the same.

GM updated listing names on the trannys ; 4L80E , 4T65E , etc.

4L60E & 65E are different in several areas from the non "E" units.

The 3 piece 4L60E tranny case design is different again. Different pump stator , converter design is different.

Early 700 pumps and stator parts must be watched for mis-match. You will have little or no pressure with mismatched parts of early pump / stator designs.

I hope that is all. If not someone will speak up I hope
Old 12-18-2005, 10:46 AM

Excellent info!

So, keep the original flexplate on the engine to avoid balancing problems and the converter and bellhousing from the 700r4/4l60 will bolt right up to the engine? Sounds too easy!! Am I missing something?
Old 12-18-2005, 03:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
So, keep the original flexplate on the engine to avoid balancing problems and the converter and bellhousing from the 700r4/4l60 will bolt right up to the engine? Sounds too easy!! Am I missing something?
You will need the TV cable hooked up and ajusted correctly for the non "E" 700 style tranny.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:07 PM
old dog learning new tricks

Crosley covered a bunch of stuff I didn't know but I'll add a little from the little I know.
The 93 LT1 F-body's used the 4l60 / 700r4 transmission. You will need a throttle body from this year f-body which has the proper hardware to utilize the throttle valve cable used on the 700 and 4l60. Gee I just happen to have a stock 48mm TB I bought in order to convert my 96 to 700r4, although I ditched that project in favor of the increased control ability via PCM programming offered by the 4l60e. If you pursue this project I can sell you the TB for what I paid for it if you like.
I believe all the converters will interchange from 700's somewhere around 1987 when the 700 got a 30 spline unit { previous years 700's had a different spline that won't work} until 1997 4l60e intergrated case / bellhousing units. I have no Idea about 98+ f-body units.
I believe the PWM controlled 4l60e units started production in f-body's sometime during 95. There is a problem with installing a converter from a pre-PWM unit into a PWM configuration due to TCC apply properties vs lock-up clutch friction material design {although it worked fine for me temporarily}, but using your 95 converter should work fine in a 30 spline 700 / 4l60.
Your 95 VSS sensor will need to be adapted to the older tranny. This will require installing the 95 stator onto the 700 / 4l60 output shaft and installiing the 95 tail housing onto the older tranny since the VSS mounting configuration is different than the speedo cable drive type. You'll need the tail housing from your 95 anyway since the boss for connecting the torque arm will likely not be on the replacement tranny tail housing.
There seems like something else I'm forgetting. If I remeber what it is I'll post it. All this is info I collected in order to swap mine, but since I did not pursue that project, some of it may not be correct. Just trying to give you some idea of things to look for.
One other thing:
I built a bunch of carbed cars in my years, but this 96 trans am is the first fuel injected project I've gotten into. I haven't done a lot, yet, but I already see that I can make more power, run faster and get better gas milage with FI than a carb motor. These are some things I considered when I ditched my 700r4 project. I won't go back to carbs now.
Why the carb on your 95 FI f-body?
Just curious. Have fun!!!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.