4L60E acting up - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

4L60E acting up

I have a 4L60E in a 1998 GMC pickup. The trans was rebuilt about 30,000 miles ago, a valve body kit was added at that time to fix the lockup issues it was having. Not too long ago, I got in it to leave the store I stopped at to refuel. I got in, put it in drive gave it pedal, the truck barely moved. I could tell it wasn`t in 1st gear. So I shifted it back to park, then back to drive again, same thing. I pulled the shifter down to low 1 and I felt it when it went into 1st, so I pulled off onto the road, let it wind up and went to 2nd, it shifted hard into 2nd, I wound it up more then went into 3rd, it delayed a good distance, the engine wound up to about 4000 RPM before it finally shifted, then I went into OD, it shifted into OD fine, the converter locked up
and everything seemed fine. The fluid level isn`t low, the fluids not burned or smelly, everything seems to be okay. It only did this once and hasn`t done it again. Since it`s my father`s truck and he`s up in the age, he gets into a panic over the slightest thing, so If anyone can give me a hint on why it did this I`d greatly appreciate it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Eating a delicious zagnut bar

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

Why when something is wrong people rev up the engine to 4 grand ?

Sounds like the OBD could not get to closed loop tripped limp mode. The computer comtrolled adaptive shift learning maybe cycling with new performance data. The "prindle" PRNOD21 switch could be malfunctioning.

Some have picked up a intermitent error, and go limp mode, giving only 2nd and reverse. Got to closed and its was fine. Jump the connector and pull the codes. Plug 3PO into the hyperdrive unit.

My 85 C10 truck is about to get a 700R4 O/D for a Q jet engine, threads like this keep me away from overdrive technology. the 60E only needs a full throttle switch off the carb, the shifts are speedsensor, correct ? Not really sure how to complete the driveability part, without a manual shift valvebody or lock up switch.

Last edited by spinn; 12-23-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:06 PM

Last photo:

The best way to check this out is go to a transmission shop that can plug in a code checker while your truck is being driven,there are engine codes that affect the transmissions operation as well as codes from the trans.That way you will eliminate the guessing game.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Limp mode in a 4L60e is 3rd gear. Reverse will function. you will have 2nd gear if you manually shift to 2nd or 1st.

Is it possible you have a shifter adjustment problem? Something loose, broke , out of adjustment?

Does the speed-O function properly?

Perhaps you have an ignition switch problem that is cutting power to the trans....

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.