Hot Rod Forum banner

4l60e boost valve installation

18K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  reddeth 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, after fighting constantly with other problems in the transmission, I'm now left to just install the boost valve (long story). Anyways, I've no idea how to do this! I see where it goes, but I don't know what components go in where. Does anyone have ANY kind of instructions for installing a stock boost valve?

Pictured below are the components from the boost valve:

See less See more
#2 ·
reddeth said:
Hello everyone, after fighting constantly with other problems in the transmission, I'm now left to just install the boost valve (long story). Anyways, I've no idea how to do this! I see where it goes, but I don't know what components go in where. Does anyone have ANY kind of instructions for installing a stock boost valve?

Pictured below are the components from the boost valve:

from left to right;

1- snap ring

2- boost valve sleeve

3-inner boost PR spring

4-inner boost valve

5- Pressure Regulator valve

6-outer boost PR spring

PR valve goes in first

inner - outer springs next

inner boost valve goes inside the boost sleeve.... open end installs into pump body.

retainer installs into groove.

MAKE sure the retainer snap ring is in the actuall groove for it to be installed into

#3 ·
Crosley said:
retainer installs into groove.

MAKE sure the retainer snap ring is in the actuall groove for it to be installed into
First of all, thank you VERY much, we've got the boost valve back together.

Second, I want to make sure it's in the right groove. When I push the boost valve as far in as it can possibly go, I see two rings/grooves, one is slightly shallower (lower down) and the other is a much deeper cut and sits about 1/2" higher than the shallower cut ring.

I assume it goes into the deeper ring right? Just want to make sure. Thank you again.

#4 ·
there is not 2 grooves for the snap ring..

there is a small step in the machined sides that DIY folks 'think' is a groove... it is not.

then past that , is the actual groove for the snap ring.

#5 ·
Crosley said:
there is not 2 grooves for the snap ring..

there is a small step in the machined sides that DIY folks 'think' is a groove... it is not.

then past that , is the actual groove for the snap ring.
After I re-arranged some stuff under the lift and got under there with a flashlight, I saw exactly what you were talking about, in the right light it LOOKS like a groove.

At any rate, got the boost valve in, and despite a missing hood (just haven't put it back on yet), small exhaust leak, and valves that need adjusting, THE CAR RUNS BEAUTIFULLY! Thank you very much for all your help!

Now if you'll pardon me, I'm off to go yell at the rebuilder: 2 weeks ago when I got the transmission back in and it didn't work, the VERY first thing I mentioned was "Hey, some people online said something about a snap ring under the boost valve?" and was reassured multiple times that it was simply NOT POSSIBLE that was the problem. At any rate, I've got some choice words for him... Word of advice, if you're in Denver, CO and want a transmission rebuilt, DO NOT take it to JCB Transmission in Arvada.

Thanks again guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.