4L60E broken - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2006, 02:19 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

4L60E broken

This isn't a hotrod question, but there's so much knowledge and experience here, I thought I'd post anyway.

Have a 2000 GMC FS Sierra (1500) 4x4 pickup. When I pulled into work today and put it into reverse to back into a parking space, I heard a loud clunk and the trans started making a loud whirring noise. Won't go into reverse now. Makes the noise whenever the engine is running, and it increases with RPM - noise is louder if I put it into reverse.

It does go forward, although the noise remains (although fainter). I haven't driven it far, and don't know if it will upshift.

From what I've read, I probably cracked the sun gear or planetary case. I guess its a common problem on these transmissions.

Anyhow, I'm going to see what my options are. Just curious if anyone with experience has any other thoughts on what it might be.

Also, I've been inside a lot of engines. Dabbled in transmissions. Is this something I could rebuild myself? I have the factory service manuals and it looks like I can get all the parts from either GM or www.drivetrain.com. I'm patient and detail-oriented, but don't know what I'd be getting myself into. Are a lot of special skills and tools required to rebuild a trans and is it best left to experts, or is this something I could tackle if I took my time?

I can drive my "summer car" for now, so as much as I'd like to get the truck back on the road, I'm not in a big hurry.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2006, 02:20 PM

Last photo:

Also, while I have it out, would putting a shift kit (like Transgo) be worth it? Anything else I should consider doing/changing while I have it out.

Even if I have it rebuilt/replaced, I'll be taking it out and putting it back in myself.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:50 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

Before you decide if you are going to try the rebuild yourself, have a transmission shop evaluate the problem and price the job with the trans removed and reinstalled by you.

Try to find a shop that does hotrods and off-road work. And if they will give a
warranty.

The pros know how beef up the things so you don't have trouble in the future.

You may find that it's not worth the $ difference and hassle to try it yourself.

A shift kit is OK but not too aggressive.

vicrod
Old 02-23-2006, 04:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I can't offer much help on what broke but I can say that if you inclined to rebuild it yourself, go for it. I did my first 350 last year and its doing fine. I now have a 4L60 apart and am going to be doing it next. All in all, it came apart quite easily, just follow the book and take pictures. You will need a spring compressor to remove all the apply pistons for re-sealing, but you can make your own or find a shop and ask them to do it for you, along with installing and re-sizing the input sealing rings. (not hard at all!)

As far as upgrades, you can get carried away. My plans for mine are a new HD sun shell, new sprags, Raybestos "Z" 3-4 clutch pack, .500 boost valve and better low/reverse valve, Corvette servo, HD band, new Torrengton bearing set and mild shift kit. I've priced all the parts from converter to tail housing seal and it will run me about $550 all together.

I ordered a CD off eBay that covers basic dis-assembly and re-assembly plus the ATSG book so I'm good to go. I've also ordered up the piston compressor and am thinking about buying the sealing ring installer/resizer too.

I just want to do it myself since all the years of shying away from trannies.

Mark
Old 02-23-2006, 06:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

IF the sun shell is broken , the tranny will NOT back up ( no reverse) .... it will NOT have 2nd gear or over drive (4th)

It is a common failure .

The tranny will shift 1 - 3

Old 02-24-2006, 06:04 AM

Last photo:

Crosley,

I think you've nailed it. My grandmother's house (with a large enough garage to get the truck in) is only a couple of miles from work, so I drove it over there last night.

I didn't go fast enough to know if 4th is working, but 2nd is definitely gone as is reverse.

I was glad I had third. First is a little high-revving, even at 35mph.

Jmark/Vicrod,

Thanks for the advice.

I think, at minimum, I'm going to take it apart myself and see what the total damage is. Then I'll make a decision from there on what to do next.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.