4l60e feels like park brakes on,no rev. only 2nd gear? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2010, 11:33 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

4l60e feels like park brakes on,no rev. only 2nd gear?

Hey guys, i have a 4x4 1998 chevy s10 blazer with a 4.3 and 4l60e transmission that i need your help with. In park it idles fine but i can feel a load on the engine and with it at wot it onlys revs to about 3000rpms (like its in gear with the park brake on).In reverse it has this same "load" feeling and feels as though it wants to move forward but wont. In nuetral it barely moves forward and rolls back wen u let off. In the "OD" "D" or 2nd position it slowly creeps forward as u give it more gas feels like its taking off in 2nd or 3rd (I beleive its second from speed and rpm comparison) and wont rev past 3000rpms. In the 1st position it does nothing has a load feeling wont rev high just sits. I can drive it around the block and dont feel any shifts and takes off slow.The trans was ran low on fluid which "killed" it. I believe it has same symtoms with it pluged in or not and has no ses light on. Also this trans has the removable bell housing and the fluid looks pretty good but i believe thats because it was ran really low then refilled. I have rebuilt one th350 with great results and am planning to attempt a rebuild with this 4l60e with a TCI master racing overhaul kit. Im hoping it has wore clutches or a vb issue. I have worked on one of these trans before only to install a shift kit with the trans in the vehical on a previous truck i had so a have minor experiance with them. Just want some oppinions on these wierd symtoms with such a complex trans. Thanks for all the help in advance i know you guys are always a great help!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2010, 10:15 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84'Monte
Hey guys, i have a 4x4 1998 chevy s10 blazer with a 4.3 and 4l60e transmission that i need your help with.

In park it idles fine but i can feel a load on the engine and with it at wot it onlys revs to about 3000rpms (like its in gear with the park brake on).

In reverse it has this same "load" feeling and feels as though it wants to move forward but wont. In nuetral it barely moves forward and rolls back wen u let off. In the "OD" "D" or 2nd position it slowly creeps forward as u give it more gas feels like its taking off in 2nd or 3rd (I beleive its second from speed and rpm comparison) and wont rev past 3000rpms.

In the 1st position it does nothing has a load feeling wont rev high just sits. I can drive it around the block and dont feel any shifts and takes off slow.

The trans was ran low on fluid which "killed" it. I believe it has same symtoms with it pluged in or not and has no ses light on. Also this trans has the removable bell housing and the fluid looks pretty good but i believe thats because it was ran really low then refilled.

I have rebuilt one th350 with great results and am planning to attempt a rebuild with this 4l60e with a TCI master racing overhaul kit. Im hoping it has wore clutches or a vb issue. I have worked on one of these trans before only to install a shift kit with the trans in the vehical on a previous truck i had so a have minor experiance with them.

Just want some oppinions on these wierd symtoms with such a complex trans. Thanks for all the help in advance i know you guys are always a great help!
Sounds like the trans needs to come apart for proper rebuild if it was run low on fluid.

The symptoms you describe seem all over the place and I really can not offer a simple answer.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:58 PM

Last photo:

thanks crosley thats what ill do. Sorry i didnt know how to make it any more simple the symtoms are very wierd nothing ive ever seen before ill just tear it down and hope all the main components are still intact.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:57 PM

Last photo:

Well i took the trans apart today and found that the 3-4 clutchs where "glued"to the steels this must be the reason it felt that it was in gear at all times. I also managed to break my tcc because i didnt realize it had to be removed before the pump could be removed.lol but oh well, anyone else who attempts this rebuild make sure to remove this first.at the moment im waiting for my tci kit. I also was wondering how important the low reverse clutch support retainer is? At first i thought it was a piece of unidentified metal that wasnt suppost to be there. i may have slightly bent it and dont want to reinstall it. any input would be very appreciated. will post pics soon.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.