4L60E junk!! - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2006, 09:18 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

as pointed out already your information / clarification is incorrect.

The 4L60E was produced with the removable bell first. It was actually used in 4.3 V-6 applications early on. The 4L60E also has a special bell housing pattern(removable) for the inline 6 cylinder engine 4200 in the Trail Blazers.

There are 2 different removable V-8 bolt pattern bell housings. They appear the same till you measure them for depth. The LS1 bell is deeper for the different converter , input shaft, stator support.

The 4L65E is an upgraded 4L60E to be used with the 6.0 liter motor. The earliest application I have seen is the GMC Denali Yukon with AWD in 2001 model year.

The few upgrades to the 4L60E to create the 4L65E was a bandaid at best. I read comments about people that " want to upgrade their tranny to 4L65E specs"... I chuckle at that stuff.

Did you know that some 4L65E trannys had cases with 4L60E cast into the side? I've rebuilt units like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73
A friendly ammendment to this... The removable bellhousing refers to a 4L65E. All 4L60Es are a cast-in bellhousing. No argument intended, just a clarification. Since the 4L65E is so similar its considered an evolution of the 4L60E and often lumped in the same category, but it isn't.

And you won't find any love from me with the 4L60E. Many of us Impala SS guys have come to hate it pretty consistently. Mine has a serious 3-2 flare and is starting to get pathetic shift ideas at 90k miles. I currently have a Viper T56 ready to go in once I get all the parts together.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2006, 03:38 PM
jack of all trades

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by oklowride
i guess if i want a good new truck ill have to buy a dodge.
yeah, buy a dodge. then start saving your money to replace the trans it that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2006, 12:12 AM

Last photo:

ive been told the 4l60E has the two seperate models from 98 up like crosly said the bellhousing, input shaft, torque converter, and that other thing he said are not interchangeable. anyway the shi$head chop shop i bought it from isnt returning my calls for a refund i guess ill have my dads lawyer give them a call....pics will come sometime next week after i take it apart. i wish i had a 5 speed!
Old 02-15-2006, 12:20 AM

Last photo:

my "replacement" i bought has a smaller torque converter and the bell is shallower than stock one from my 5.3.. the pattern is like a 350 the 5.3 has a hole at the top center in addition to the 4 typical side and 2 half way up. im pretty sure its from a 4.3 but they removed the ID decals from the trans and TC so i cant verify that, can you say chop shop!
Old 02-15-2006, 08:30 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

Geez, it's gotten confusing nowadays to ID a trans!

[mini rant]
I will agree with the new-er GM trans blowing out. It seems every one of their full size cars & trucks from about 1988-up have a timer on them that goes out at 130,000 miles. Had a 1994 olds that grenaded it's at 135,000. Friend of mine has another that dumped it's at 140,000.

I now have 2 FoMoCo vehicles parked out front and damn proud of it! My dad now has 2 late model Jeeps and an older Dodge Truck. No more GM for either one of us.

Also, the "chop shops" as you put it suck. You need to find a reputable salvage yard or cough up the $$$$ for a rebuild.
[end of mini rant]

I'll also agree, make sure you get the 5 or 6 speed stick whenever you buy a new truck(I did and love it). They last longer, easier to tow with, and are a lot simpler to replace when they do die.

Thinking outside the box:
Do you think there is a somewhat easy way to replace your 4L60E with the Allison Automatic or the 5 speed?
Old 02-16-2006, 01:29 AM

Last photo:

to cardaddy- yours should be a 700r4. the 4l60e did start sometime mid 90s but had a one piece case untill approximately 97 then 98+ have 2 different designs of the same trans for different vehicles, so they came up with the different seperate bellhousings etc., although the 4l60e is very similar to the 700r4.

everyone else- im getting refund from the chop shop in the morning. id love to stab a 5 or 6 speed in the truck or an allison. i could handle the work but my wallet could not, so im going to have to buy some real parts from tansmissioncenter.net , hardened steel to replace the cast crap GM made it with and a servo to put some pressure on the clutches to keep them from frying if they arent already.

i have come up with a theory of how US manufacturers make stuff.
1- start with a good design and brag about it
2-once everyone hears about how good the new flimmy flammer is sneak around and reduce it to a quality and strength that will just barely hold itself together under unloaded driving
3- start bragging about the new improved model
4-you get the picture

anyone remember when your transmission outlasted your engine, when they made trucks to use as a truck. when the bed floor was made out of steel not tin foil.

i will be either selling or trading this thing off after my wallet recovers, if i trade what do you guys recommend for towing, i dont want another chevy i have plenty of friends with the same trucks and have heard the dreaded chevy rod slap. i definately want a manual, unless i go old school i can live with a th400 i know they last. what do you think old, new, dodge, ford, old GM, toyota, nissan?? all the aisian guys at work tell me "you buy toyota last forever toyota good truck" my towing needs are- capable to tow a trailer loaded with a fullsize car/truck, hauling engines to the machine shop for my toys and other parts. my bed flor is dented all to hell from hauling a few bigblocks from here to there.

i will be taking apart the trans to see the damage on sunday. and then post pics early next week if i can figure out how to post them. later
Old 02-21-2006, 12:34 AM

Last photo:

i looked on ebay for manual transmissions and didnt find any 5 speeds for the truck but the t56 6 speed would fit quite nice i might just buy one if it doesnt get to high. im guessing the t56 has a hydraulic clutch, ive never put one together is it that much work?
i could stab my muncie 4 speed in it but id like to save that for my hot rod, what do you guys think too much trouble to convert to a T56? or go for the stick!?
Old 02-23-2006, 07:41 AM
Caprice/Camaro/BMW

Last photo:

Don't knock the GM overdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by oklowride
i refuse to buy any GM that has a computer or overdrive transmisson, what junk!!
Don't say that. Go with the 80's GM 700-R4 w/ OD. I own an '85 Caprice wagon w/ an ORIGINAL 305 4-BBL and ORIGINAL 700-R4 overdrive tranny with 191,000 MILES!!

It is a very trustworthy car and even gives me some fun whippin it around a corner.

I doubt this will encourage you to get an older truck but I just wanted to give some input.

~Glen
Old 02-23-2006, 07:49 AM
Caprice/Camaro/BMW

Last photo:

Speaking of T56...

Speaking of the T56, I was thinking to do a conversion myself. Since the '93+ Camaro Z28 came with T56's, I found a T56 for $550 in town and always wanted a manual tranny in my '85 Caprice 305.

I know it sounds ridiculous to put a T56 on a 305 (if it will work) but I want to get some clutch action in my wagon!

The only thing I'm not so sure about is if the T56 will bolt up to my small block. Shouldn't it bolt up to my 305 since the T56 comes off an LT-1 350? Or only the LT-1?

Please go easy on me, I'm only a dreamer.

~Glen

Last edited by ViperMonster800; 02-23-2006 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Wrong spelling
Old 02-24-2006, 02:02 AM

Last photo:

the T56 will bolt up to any SBC, but the new gen engines like my 5.3 have an extra hole at the top like BOP and the new gen engines dont use the upper hole on the passenger side. since who knows when its the same 2 holes 1 above and below the alignment stud and 1 on each side half way up the trans housing. a T56 would bolt up to any SBC no problem, but in my case the trans i bought has the traditional SBC LT1 bolt pattern theres no top hole and the bottom 2 dont line up since theres no TC cover like the old engines the replacement i got is obviously from either a 4.3 or an early RWD car. cadillac or caprice. my lawyer is taking care of the monkeys that i bought it from and im ordering some parts from transmissioncenter.net to make mine truckworthy. they used to have transmissions that lasted.....................now a chevy truck is a car with a big trunk
Old 02-24-2006, 02:11 AM

Last photo:

im thinking that putting a t56 behind any GM RWD would make it kick considering that 6th gear is .5 you could put in a sick rear end gear and still cruise the highway and save gas. i think the traditional auto OD is somewhere around .7 .75... just think a 305 w/t56 and 4.56 gears would jump off the line and spin at 2200 rpm at 80 mph
Old 02-24-2006, 11:44 PM
View 24 albums at Moes Garage

Last photo:

Planned Obsolescence

moe

-------------------------------------

http://spaces.msn.com/moes-garage/
Old 03-08-2006, 12:02 AM

Last photo:

picture of junk!

as we thought it is the reaction sun shell that failed, a nice clean brake everything else looks perfect, i have ordered the "beast shell" and a performance shift plate from transmissioncenter and hope to have the parts in by this weekend and get it going by monday. [IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1shell.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	10618  
Old 03-08-2006, 12:04 AM

Last photo:

double click the pic so you can see it
Old 03-08-2006, 12:09 AM

Last photo:

VIPER- the 4l60e is a slightly improved 700r4 with electronic solenoids, internally almost exactly the same, i know they last if your just driving around but try towing a little and watch it fry crack shatter and fall apart. theyre both good enough transmissions, good enough to haul a few people....

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.