4L60E junk!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2006, 02:15 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

4L60E junk!!

apparently i am one of the few "rare" occurences in which the 4l60e fails. mine is a 99 silverado 5.3 4l60e. at 58K miles i lost OD, 2nd and reverse. my dad researched and found it to be common of the rare, apparently the "reaction carrier??" a planetary gear on the rear shaft likes to just make a clean break one day and your screwed for whatever price you can get it fixed for or do it your self for about $200 worth in parts. i think its time that manufacturers start paying to fix crappy designs, as i have found in other forums people have had this problem 3 times on the same truck. they used to make transmissions to last now its all a scam so your stupid not to buy a warranty or extended warranty. since failure will come at a dissapointing time. really 58K miles what kind of crap is this. i found others who replaced 2 trannys by 50K no wonder their business is down. i guess if i want a good new truck ill have to buy a dodge. from now on i refuse to buy any GM that has a computer or overdrive transmisson, what junk!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2006, 02:29 AM
Air Force Guy

Last photo:

Still under warranty maybe? Also, check the recalls for your vehicle. You might be lucky and get covered under that. Not sure what kind of deal you got on the 99 but if you bought it used or with no warranty, all you can do is pull the tranny, take it too a shop and you are out the door for around $400.00 or so.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:16 AM

Last photo:

$400? Wow, a carry in/out 700 around here is about $1,300, providing its not hammered inside. Sounds like you may be in for some serious bucks if it blew. Remember, just because one part breaks doesn't mean that the pieces didn't take out other parts too.

Mark
Old 02-07-2006, 04:49 PM
Rev It Loud, Drive It Proud!

Do you mean you cracked the sunshell, gee i never have heard of that. Dot buy one from GM. They are junk. There is a smaller company out of ohio that makes one they call The Beast, retails for $ 75 bucks
Old 02-07-2006, 07:19 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fairlane
Dot buy one from GM. They are junk. There is a smaller company out of ohio that makes one they call The Beast, retails for $ 75 bucks
This is the place
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/

Vince
Old 02-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Air Force Guy

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark
$400? Wow, a carry in/out 700 around here is about $1,300, providing its not hammered inside. Sounds like you may be in for some serious bucks if it blew. Remember, just because one part breaks doesn't mean that the pieces didn't take out other parts too.

Mark

Sorry, I should have elaborated. If you bring in your own rebuild kit. Farnsworth Transmissions in Amarillo is where I go for all my work. I brought them the Transmission, an B&M Transkit and away they went. I was out the door for $400.00 labor. The B&M Kit was $350.00 when I bought it from Skoggin and dicky.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:47 AM

Last photo:

im very familiar with transmissioncenter.net and ive been looking at buying real parts from them to replace the crap GM built it with. i already bought a used tranny for it but its not the same although it is a 4l60E it has a different bellhousing(these models have removable bellhousings for those who dont know) and smaller torque converter. the people i bought it from told me it was from a 99 5.3 but they were full of it i think they were jsut telling me what i wanted to hear, but once i pulled mine out its obviously a little different. so im returning it tomorrow and if they dont have the correct one im going to take mine apart and order the broken parts from tansmission center. they want me to look at the 4l60e's they have and tell them which one i have instead of refunding my money then refind if they dont have the right one...
i know someone is going to ask so heres the answer- no icant just use my bellhousing and TC on their trans because the input shaft is different where the inner shaft that turns is spaced differently to match the engine flywheel to line up the TC on the shaft. it may work if your trying to redneck something but id rather not have to do this again. the smell of transmission fluid is making me sick!! ill load some pics of the damage when i get mine apart
Old 02-10-2006, 08:58 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oklowride
it may work if your trying to redneck something but id rather not have to do this again. the smell of transmission fluid is making me sick!!
Oh come'on! Live a little! Nothing like "redneck'n stuff" to make it work! LOL

I wanna see some pics!

Mark
Old 02-10-2006, 02:09 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Quote:
i guess if i want a good new truck ill have to buy a dodge.

Don't buy a Dodge, my old boss is a mechanic at a Dodge dealer and the trucks are having transmission problems. More so than the Chevy trucks. His personal vehicle is a 2000 w/ the Cummings. His transmission went at 38,000 miles.

Atleast your Chevy isn't having the piston slap on startup problem, that would have you real pissed off.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:19 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
i guess if i want a good new truck ill have to buy a dodge. from now on i refuse to buy any GM that has a computer or overdrive transmisson, what junk!!

Best friend owns a transmission shop, he rebuilds a LOT more Dodge OD's, transfer cases and differentials than GM's. Dodge Ram trucks and Dodge Caravans are his "bread and butter".
Old 02-10-2006, 02:23 PM

Last photo:

please don't bring your own parts to a transmission shop, lots of people think they know more about building then do than the builders do, do you guys bring your own steaks to the restaurant? We have had pretty good luck on our rebuilds, we put a special shift kit from transco and don NOT buy gm replacement parts, and we warranty for a year, haven't had any comeback in a year except due to abuse

And the 4l60e is our most popular transmission, thats why GM sucks now, they are not a very beefy transmission for them to but them in all their trucks and SUV's. We prolly build 20 4l60e's a month, and were a fairly small shop with 2 builders. Gets boring doing the same one all the time.

Brendan
Old 02-10-2006, 10:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

All I will add here is :

There are 2 different designs of 4L60E tranny with a removable bell housing.

The bell housing, input shaft , stator support, converter are specific to each tranny. You cannot mix the parts with success
Old 02-11-2006, 01:12 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
All I will add here is :

There are 2 different designs of 4L60E tranny with a removable bell housing.
A friendly ammendment to this... The removable bellhousing refers to a 4L65E. All 4L60Es are a cast-in bellhousing. No argument intended, just a clarification. Since the 4L65E is so similar its considered an evolution of the 4L60E and often lumped in the same category, but it isn't.

And you won't find any love from me with the 4L60E. Many of us Impala SS guys have come to hate it pretty consistently. Mine has a serious 3-2 flare and is starting to get pathetic shift ideas at 90k miles. I currently have a Viper T56 ready to go in once I get all the parts together.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:39 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73
A friendly ammendment to this... The removable bellhousing refers to a 4L65E. All 4L60Es are a cast-in bellhousing. No argument intended, just a clarification. Since the 4L65E is so similar its considered an evolution of the 4L60E and often lumped in the same category, but it isn't.

And you won't find any love from me with the 4L60E. Many of us Impala SS guys have come to hate it pretty consistently. Mine has a serious 3-2 flare and is starting to get pathetic shift ideas at 90k miles. I currently have a Viper T56 ready to go in once I get all the parts together.
You are incorrect,
4L60-E's had the removable bellhousing also since the late 90's. I've been under enough of them when I was at the dealership to know...
Old 02-11-2006, 09:46 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73

The 4L60E and the 4L65E BOTH share the 2 piece case/bellhousing. The '65E was introduced in 2003 as an upgraded '60E. It is a direct bolt in replacement for the '60E. The upgrades included a hardened input shaft, larger intermediate servo, 5 pinion planets and a deeper pan. Its claimed to support up to 400hp as delivered right from GM.

The 4L60E has that number cast right into the back half of the trans/bellhousing case.

Mark

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.