Hot Rod Forum banner

4L60e low-reverse clutch retaining clip stuck!

23K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  tnsmith10 
#1 · (Edited)
Stuck!

the lo-reverse clutch retaining clip is stuck hard, I had even tried multigrips half a dozen times, no success.
How do i get this clip out of my 4L60e?
Here some picture, not in this order,(clip thumbnail images for expolded view):
-a picture of the location of the clip, and zoomed
- a picture of my attempt,
- a picture of the clip and were I am grabbing it from & the direction of pull,
- and a proposed design modification of adding two holes to the clip IF YOU GM PART MANUFACTURES ARE READING THIS !!! to make our life easier.

I think it has been shoved into the wrong location ??

If anyone has a solution they could post, I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks in advance.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
old yukon said:
Stuck!

the lo-reverse clutch retaining clip is stuck hard, I had even tried multigrips half a dozen times, no success.
How do i get this clip out of my 4L60e?
Here some picture, not in this order,(clip thumbnail images for expolded view):
-a picture of the location of the clip, and zoomed
- a picture of my attempt,
- a picture of the clip and were I am grabbing it from & the direction of pull,
- and a proposed design modification of adding two holes to the clip IF YOU GM PART MANUFACTURES ARE READING THIS !!! to make our life easier.

I think it has been shoved into the wrong location ??

If anyone has a solution they could post, I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks in advance.
that is called the reverse anti-rattle spring.
its going to be stuck, you gota use the output shaft to knock the center support out and that will free it up. lay the trans down on its back and take a heavy soft blow hammer to the output shaft and hit the output shaft from the bottom of the case. as long as the snap ring has been removed, and the inner lugs of the case arent messed up, it should come right out. you will never get the anti-rattle spring out without removing the center support, without ruining the spring.

#3 ·
thanks tnsmith 10
i will give it go.

You said: "that is called the reverse anti-rattle spring" not "lo-reverse clutch retaining clip " thanks for correcting me here.
There are so many different name for it out their. even ATSG call it something different, (see attachment)

Even the directions from the ATSG manual for disassembly seem open to interpretation. eg."remove the lower reverse roller clutch assembly from the case".... which direction?)

thanks again tnsmith 10 .

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.