4L60E No Forward Gears only year old - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2006, 06:22 AM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

4L60E No Forward Gears only year old

well, heres a strange one for you. I have a 96' silverado. i ordered a 4l60e from megamax trannys in florida less than a year ago. within the last 2 weeks i noticed it was acting very "lazy". expecially when first putting it in gear to take off in the morning.
then on the way home today, i totally lost every forward gear after i pulled out from a stop. so as i was coasting luckily down a hill, i shifted down to third, then to overdrive trying to find something. then i felt a slam. and it was back in gear.
so i put it in 3rd gear for the rest of the trip home. and then had to stop at a 4 way. and when i tried to take off. nothing. no forward gears this time at all.
im gonna try diconnecting the battery later.
also, had no MIL on either.
any thoughts.
I love GM but i would love more, to shoot who ever designed their OD trannys.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2006, 08:25 PM

Forward clutch died
Not a high failure issue.
Curious
Old 10-13-2006, 05:35 AM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazmac
Forward clutch died
Not a high failure issue.
Curious
thanks chaz.
its a 4x4 96' silverado with 32"x10" tires on 16"s
body lift, vortec 305sfi.
i ordered the tranny from megamaxtrannys down in florida. it has a number of mods done to it. it is their regular duty tranny. they also had a heavy duty. but this is the regular. i treat it very well. occasional fish tail on gravel or mud puddle.
some of the mods i can remember are, enlarged torque converter drain back hole, modified front bushing to prevent failure, and a few others i cant recall.

i always noticed that from a dead stop, when i would give it some good steady pedal, during take off i would feel a very very slight "shutter" in the tranny in first gear. very similar to the feeling if you were running boggers (or a tire with large lugs) and accelerating in 4 wheel drive, or front wheel drive only.

i should get the details from the shop soon. i will post them.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:52 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

i wonder if by chance the filter has dropped to the bottom of the pan and its sucking in air??? hows the fluid level?
Old 10-13-2006, 08:17 AM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:

the fluid level was always right on.
when the tranny was shipped to me, the crate was beat too hell pretty bad.
a large peice was broken out of the bottom of the crate. (plastic tote)
so could some rough handling during shipping, predisposed this tranny to failure?
Old 10-14-2006, 06:45 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

the simplest and easiest way to start is by dropping the pan and see whats going on. with the rough handling from shipping, even though not too likely, it is possible that the filter could have dropped..
Old 10-14-2006, 07:11 AM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:

i had a local shop install the tranny. they had to pull the pan to swap the linkage with the stock one. so i would assume that if the filter fell, they would have fixed it. Thats also, where the truck is now. Waiting to be looked at.
I figure sheared a sprag?
Old 10-14-2006, 12:24 PM

Probably a cracked forward piston,now that I think about it.
See this more in the F body cars than in trucks, but still hapens.
Have trans shop use the late forward piston (molded rubber on steel).
Old 10-16-2006, 03:25 AM

Last photo:

Could be all of the above, but an easy check on the dropped filter is to overfill it by about 2 litres - on flat ground. If it works overfull then drop the pan and fix it.
If yer gunna shoot anyone remember that GM didn't REBUILD the trans.
Ian.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:50 AM

Last photo:

Does reverse work?
Old 10-23-2006, 09:07 AM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:

yes, sorry, forgot to mention reverse worked. only the forward gears were gone.

well, i got the truck back and took a look at the carnage that went on inside.
the trans guy said he has only seen a hand full of failures like this, and had never been able to exactly say why it happnes. he says he has his theorys.
he thinks that a certain solenoid for what ever reason, turns on for a split second, and engages a clutch when it shouldnt. (i couldnt remember his specific words)
he also said, dipping into reverse momentarily while driving he figures could cause this failure.

Ok, so here was the failure. The sun gear broke off from the input sprag. (the sun gear is mounted to the input sprag on the later models) And of course, various metal fragments knarled up the planetarys a little bit, and its torington bearing sounded a little crunchy also. This also damaged the neck of the torque converter. It had a hairline crack in it, and also was scored a good bit.

Thats it. Now, i dont recall ever shifting into reverse while driving. but i have loaned the truck out a few times. and i can just see that certain somebody trying to shift to neutral to pipe somebody, but accidentally hit reverse for a half second.
So im gonna guess thats the event that started the failure.

hope this helps somebody someday.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:59 PM

Last photo:

well just to chime in here, broken piece's for what ever reason in this truck was caused by driver. solenoid's just don't come on for any reason other than computer command(driver moved the shifter)(manual valve would need to move to change oil flow to engage forward clutch oil for forward clutch pack to apply that would cause damage if you where rolling in reverse, that also will shear low roller clutch) converter damage(cracked neck) can be cause from engine run on after key is turned off. ignition issues or carbon build up on pistons timing issues. neck wear can be mis aligned pump bushing (not installed parallel , straight) and torque converter not correctly flush against flywheel and centered in the crankshaft.

all this damage is very possible in 4x4 and I have a customer that did so before he came to my shop I shot many pictures of the damage just in case it happen again his parents understood after they saw the pictures I attached to the repair bill
Old 10-24-2006, 06:42 AM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by airworld2
well just to chime in here, broken piece's for what ever reason in this truck was caused by driver. solenoid's just don't come on for any reason other than computer command(driver moved the shifter)(manual valve would need to move to change oil flow to engage forward clutch oil for forward clutch pack to apply that would cause damage if you where rolling in reverse, that also will shear low roller clutch) converter damage(cracked neck) can be cause from engine run on after key is turned off. ignition issues or carbon build up on pistons timing issues. neck wear can be mis aligned pump bushing (not installed parallel , straight) and torque converter not correctly flush against flywheel and centered in the crankshaft.

all this damage is very possible in 4x4 and I have a customer that did so before he came to my shop I shot many pictures of the damage just in case it happen again his parents understood after they saw the pictures I attached to the repair bill

thanks for the insight, and insinuating that im a dumb *****, lead footed teenager.
The torque converter was probably cracked by the "slam" i mentioned in the first post.
I agree on the solenoid side of things. The last time i loaned the truck out, was probably 4 months ago. So if the truck was shifted into reverse while driving that long ago, and last up till now, is that possible? Is this type of failure typical to take that long?
Old 10-24-2006, 02:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327amc
thanks for the insight, and insinuating that im a dumb *****, lead footed teenager.
The torque converter was probably cracked by the "slam" i mentioned in the first post.
I agree on the solenoid side of things. The last time i loaned the truck out, was probably 4 months ago. So if the truck was shifted into reverse while driving that long ago, and last up till now, is that possible? Is this type of failure typical to take that long?
I wasn't insulting you, just trying to give in site to your trouble and answer your post. the neck on the converter is good steel and the case would break from an impact or drop during shipping before the neck with over 28 years in transmission repair I have seen many thing happen, some from customer abuse and some not.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:36 PM

4l60e no forward gears only year old

I have same background as airworld2,and agree with his post.solenoids dont just come on and do this type of damage,and the converter hub didnt crack because the trans was handled poorley during shipping.I think he was trying to help and I dont think he was trying to insult you,after all you did say you had loaned your truck out.If your friend abused your vehicle this may have led to its ultimate demise.However anything mechanical can fail,with or without abuse.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.