4L60E No Reverse - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2007, 06:28 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

4L60E No Reverse

Hi everyone, Hope someone can give me a hand at what to look at first. I have a 97 Chevy Astro Van with a 4.3 with about 200,000 miles on it. My son came home with it last night and parked it in the driveway and all was fine (I also drove it a few hours earlier and at was fine then too). He went to back out of the driveway this morning and had no reverse. Fluid is full and semi clean, no burnt smell. I hooked up my scanner but it will not do trans codes but all solonoids etc are showing proper function. All works fine in all forward gears and shifts correctly also. Any ideas????

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2007, 07:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFD Wrench
Hi everyone, Hope someone can give me a hand at what to look at first. I have a 97 Chevy Astro Van with a 4.3 with about 200,000 miles on it. My son came home with it last night and parked it in the driveway and all was fine (I also drove it a few hours earlier and at was fine then too). He went to back out of the driveway this morning and had no reverse. Fluid is full and semi clean, no burnt smell. I hooked up my scanner but it will not do trans codes but all solonoids etc are showing proper function. All works fine in all forward gears and shifts correctly also. Any ideas????

Solenoids have nothing to do with reverse.

what is the history on the trans? Mileage? Recent repair work?

IF the trans has 200k miles on it..... the trans is done . Time for a proper rebuild.

Chances are the internal seals are hard with age and heat , frictions worn down thin.

Two items create reverse gear. Reverse input clutches and the low/ reverse clutch pack. One or both have failed IF there is no reverse. Neither of these clutch packs affect / function in forward gears.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:52 PM

Yes, the trans has 200,000 on it and never any repairs, only routine maintenance. Correct me if I'm wrong but if the proper solonoids dont work in the correct sequence that fluid flow path will be incorrect and the proper bands will not hold or release the proper drum or planetary to make that particular gear work. I have not really messed with any automatics other than my Allison's in my fire trucks and ambulances since the mid 80's. Thanks again for the help.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Yes, the trans has 200,000 on it and never any repairs, only routine maintenance. Correct me if I'm wrong but if the proper solonoids dont work in the correct sequence that fluid flow path will be incorrect and the proper bands will not hold or release the proper drum or planetary to make that particular gear work. I have not really messed with any automatics other than my Allison's in my fire trucks and ambulances since the mid 80's. Thanks again for the help.
Yes , you are wrong for reverse in this 4l60e trans.

The manual valve directs oil to the reverse passages , not the shift solenoids. You can unplug the 4L60e main trans case connector and the trans will shift to reverse (If reverse functions)

I've worked on passenger car automatics for 3 decades and still do 5 days a week

Old 01-01-2008, 07:15 AM

More info

I test drove the van this morning and found that 1st - 2nd shift is very late but with backing off the throttle it will shift. It is not slipping due to if you stomp on it the back of the van squats hard on acceleration. The shifts above that seem fine. Does this information change your previous diagnosis at all. Thanks again for your help.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:53 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
I test drove the van this morning and found that 1st - 2nd shift is very late but with backing off the throttle it will shift. It is not slipping due to if you stomp on it the back of the van squats hard on acceleration. The shifts above that seem fine. Does this information change your previous diagnosis at all. Thanks again for your help.

what you now describe sounds like a 1 - 3 shift with the trans may be skipping 2nd gear. Often folks mistake a 1-3 shift for a 'late' 2nd gear shift. Backing offf the throttle may be allowing a weak 3-4 clutch pack to apply

IF that is happening, the sun shell has broken or stripped out.

When the sun shell breaks , there is NO reverse , 2nd gear or 4th gear.

You did not indicate if Over drive (4th gear) functions.... just that the 'shifts" above that seem fine.

Do you feel - see -think the trans has 3 complete shifts? 1-2 shift (late) , 2-3 shift .. then the shift to 4th gear?

2nd gear and 4th gear are the same band. Usually if one gear does not work the other gear does not work either.

At 200k miles on the trans it is 50 - 75k miles past it's service life.

This trans needs a proper rebuild IMHO.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:22 AM

No 2nd or 4th

Hello again. I test drove again with scan tool attached and you hit the nail on the head. No 2nd or 4th gear either. I hate to do a complete rebuild if I can help it as the whole van has 200,000 miles on it and its getting tired. My son only uses it to go back and forth to school and this is his senior year and I really only need it to last 6 more months but if I have to I have to. I really do appreciate your help and if ya think of anything else please let me know. Thanks again.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:30 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Hello again. I test drove again with scan tool attached and you hit the nail on the head. No 2nd or 4th gear either. I hate to do a complete rebuild if I can help it as the whole van has 200,000 miles on it and its getting tired. My son only uses it to go back and forth to school and this is his senior year and I really only need it to last 6 more months but if I have to I have to. I really do appreciate your help and if ya think of anything else please let me know. Thanks again.

IF you rebuild this trans ... bushing replacement is very important for proper lube oil flow. Especially the bushings in the pump and stator support (pump cover) for the input shaft.

A stock OE sun shell will work or the sun shell known as the "Beast" is a great upgrade for strength. At 200k miles the current sun shell had a long life.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:39 AM

Thank You

Crosley, Thanks again for all your help. If ya ever need any help, electrical is my specialty. Also just about anything on Ambulances or fire trucks. Checked out your profile and "Nice Bike". I have an 2003 100th Anniversary H-D XL1200C. Looks a little cold where your at so not much chance of getting my van to your shop. Thanks for the knowledge and I like your quote. Mine, that I learned from my dad is "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts".
Old 01-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Crosley, Thanks again for all your help. If ya ever need any help, electrical is my specialty. Also just about anything on Ambulances or fire trucks. Checked out your profile and "Nice Bike". I have an 2003 100th Anniversary H-D XL1200C. Looks a little cold where your at so not much chance of getting my van to your shop. Thanks for the knowledge and I like your quote. Mine, that I learned from my dad is "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts".
A photo attached of the broken sun shell I mention. Some times they break as pictured , other time they strip the splines out.

Not too cold here in Aridzona. Thanks for the comment on the 1800 Goldwing. It was 111*F in June when I bought the 2008 bike and rode it 45 miles home. It's a level 3 bike with ABS , Navigation, heated seats - grips. I had sold my 2004 Goldwing a few months earlier

Old 01-26-2008, 02:08 PM

4l60e

Crosley that's some good info I sure like reading what you advise members to do. Have a Great Week!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.