4l60e No Reverse - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2010, 06:06 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

4l60e No Reverse

I have read other post on here so I know there are other guys out there with the same problem I'm having. I am working on a 95 Z-71 with a 4l60e. I got this truck in with no foward gears or reverse gears (the clutches were fried). We pulled the trans. out tore it down completely cleaned the case and all parts. We then installed a master rebuild kit (clutches, steels, seals, balls,etc.)and had the pump rebuilt at a local shop. All the balls and bolts are in the right place. We put it back in the truck and we have all the forward gears but no reverse. We have pressure checked the reverse drum with air and it does work. I am rebuilding this trans. for someone else and I have had it to long as it is, so if anyone has any idea what it is I would appreciate any help I can get.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2010, 06:18 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody_edge_1991
I have read other post on here so I know there are other guys out there with the same problem I'm having. I am working on a 95 Z-71 with a 4l60e. I got this truck in with no foward gears or reverse gears (the clutches were fried). We pulled the trans. out tore it down completely cleaned the case and all parts. We then installed a master rebuild kit (clutches, steels, seals, balls,etc.)and had the pump rebuilt at a local shop. All the balls and bolts are in the right place. We put it back in the truck and we have all the forward gears but no reverse. We have pressure checked the reverse drum with air and it does work. I am rebuilding this trans. for someone else and I have had it to long as it is, so if anyone has any idea what it is I would appreciate any help I can get.
how does the truck pull in manual low? you say that you air checked the reverse drum, you you mean the reverse input drum the band rides on or the low-reverse piston at the bottom of the case?
Old 07-29-2010, 06:23 PM

It pulls strong in low gear and it shifts fine. I pressure checked the low-reverse. When rebuilt it we replace the seals on the reverse pistons.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:51 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

guy i dont think your following me here. not low gear while the shifter is in drive, but all the way down in 1 on the shifter. next, there is a drum that the band goes around, its called the reverse input drum, thats 1 part that engages reverse, the other is the low/reverse piston that goes down in the bottom of the case. which one did you air check? or did you do both?
other than that, what all did you do to the valve body or have done to the pump? did you know theres a screen that goes into the pump? is it installed?
Old 07-29-2010, 07:10 PM

When you pull the shifter into 1 it has low gear. I air checked the low/reverse piston in the bottom of the case. When we took the valve body out we removed the sensors and cleaned it to remove any grit or old fluid. We replace all the balls (7 on top and 1 under the plate). As for the pump we had it completely rebuilt at a local shop. And yes the trans is installed.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:24 PM

If you are talking about the pan filter it is installed, and if you are talking about a screen inside the pump that would be the responsibility of the shop who rebuilt it. As they were suppose to replace everything inside the pump. I have not done anything to the pump other than take it out and take it to the shop. I have rebuilt several transmissions but never any pumps so I don't know what goes in them or what is in this one.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
When you pull the shifter into 1 it has low gear. I air checked the low/reverse piston in the bottom of the case. When we took the valve body out we removed the sensors and cleaned it to remove any grit or old fluid. We replace all the balls (7 on top and 1 under the plate). As for the pump we had it completely rebuilt at a local shop. And yes the trans is installed.

Engine braking in manual first gear? Does it have engine braking?

Did you air check the low-reverse clutch pack. Did you check the clutch clearance in the low-reverse clutch pack?

Old 07-30-2010, 01:53 PM

Crosley-

I checked it today and it does not have engine breaking in 1st. I got it to about 20mph in 2nd and pulled it into 1st and no engine breaking. I did air check the low/reverse and it did engage. I didn't check the clearance. What should it be?
Old 07-30-2010, 02:46 PM

Crosley-

I read online that the reverse check ball inside the capsule at the rear of the trans. may cause a problem and if I remove it and leave it out it might fix the problem. What is your opinion on this?
Old 07-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Crosley-

I checked it today and it does not have engine breaking in 1st. I got it to about 20mph in 2nd and pulled it into 1st and no engine breaking. I did air check the low/reverse and it did engage. I didn't check the clearance. What should it be?
did you air check both sections of the low-reverse piston?

Clearance would be around .050 on the clutch pack in the back of the case = low -reverse

Last edited by Crosley; 07-30-2010 at 09:26 PM. Reason: add info
Old 07-30-2010, 08:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Crosley-

I read online that the reverse check ball inside the capsule at the rear of the trans. may cause a problem and if I remove it and leave it out it might fix the problem. What is your opinion on this?
load of bulloney. The check ball in the case can left in or removed. Millions of trans operate with the check ball in place if the piston and seals are correct and in good shape
Old 07-30-2010, 09:13 PM

Both sections? I only checked the low/reverse piston in bottom of the case. I only put air to one port, is there another that operates the low/reverse piston or do mean there is another piston I should check?
Old 07-30-2010, 09:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Both sections? I only checked the low/reverse piston in bottom of the case. I only put air to one port, is there another that operates the low/reverse piston or do mean there is another piston I should check?

there is one large piston in the back of the case. there are 3 square cut O rings that create 2 separate sections.

there are two ports to air check. Since you have no reverse and no engine braking , I would venture a guess the problem is that piston - seals or related to it

Old 07-30-2010, 09:48 PM

We replaced the all of the square cut seals, we lubed them with trans gel and then reinstalled the piston and the spring pack. I then put air to one of the ports (I didn't know there are two ports that control it) and it worked as it is suppose to. I'll check the other section in the morning. If the seals on the piston are fine, what else could it be?
Old 07-31-2010, 08:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

there are two clutch packs that provide reverse when applied together.

low - reverse pack discussed here.

the reverse input clutch pack.. those frictions are in the drum the 2-4 band applies to. Cut lip seal , sealing rings will cause the reverse input drum clutch pack to not operate

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.