Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 4L60E no shift, one gear only
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 04:18 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hi Rich, thanks for the warm welcome! First, I think "reliable transmission shop" is an oxymoron, but really the truck is here at my shop and I have no way to get it to a trans shop. I always like to do things myself anyways so a few days figuring something out is a lesson learned, be it good or bad.

Hi Crosley, thanks for making a new thread. Guess I could have been more specific, let me start over.

My neighbor has a 94 GMC 1500 with a 4.3l w 4l60e auto. The engine has a rod knocking and he said the trans was stuck in low. I test drove it around the shop and he was right, but so was the price. I put a deposit on the truck because I have a fresh 5.7 tbi and 4l60e auto from a 95 GMC Yukon that I thought would go right in. I ran out to the salvage yard and pulled a 5.7 auto engine/trans harness from a 94 and installed it on the 95 eng/trans and realized the 94 harness was missing the plugs that plug into the connectors on the shift mechanism on the 95 trans. Then I went and looked at the oem trans on the 94 truck and noticed it has a rod linkage instead of the cable like the 95. I then learned that the trans from the 95 has a pulse width lockup controlled by the computer and the 94 wire harness will not work with that trans.

So back to google I go, searching for how to repair the 94 trans or make the 95 trans work in the 94 truck, that brings me to here. I read here how to make the tbi trans(im assuming thats my 95 trans) work in a carb'd truck. Now I don't know what will be the best route to get this truck on the road, cost being a major determining factor.

I have rebuild guides on the 4l60e and though I have never rebuilt one, feel confident I could pull it off. I know a trans kit is about $150-$200 but will that fix the stuck in low trans or will it need additional parts?

I have extensive knowledge in 12v systems and have dissected many wire harnesses so I even considered swapping the 94 truck dash/ign/eng wiring to 95 so it will be plug and play. About the same $150-$200 in dash/wiring to convert the truck to 95. Plus I would need to change the through firewall ignition harness hole requiring cutting/welding.

Could I piggyback the ecm's somehow so that the 94 harness stays intact running the engine and the 95 ecm runs the trans?

I should have the keys this weekend, I can then find out for sure about the speedo and manual shifting. If anyone knows some tests I can perform myself to diagnose this, OR if anyone has info on how to make the 95 trans work, please let me know.

Thanks for your time.