4l60E and no Speedo - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 02:30 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

4l60E and no Speedo

I just installed a 96 LT and 4L60E in a 1932 Ford coupe. I see only 0.2 volts to the speedo (VSS out of PCM). It is a new VSS, I get forward and reverse. Wire from tranny and to speedo have been roung out. It studders off the line, but tapping the gas she takes off. I know I am getting at least 2 forward gears and when you are crusing the engine seams to be wondering in rpm (probably a PCM program problem).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 07:48 AM

It is difficult for me to understand everything you are trying to explain. It sounds like you may have electrical, or wiring problems, and/or engine problems.

Do you have a speedometer hooked up? Is it registering vehicle speed? The PCM will not command a vehicle upshift unless it is seeing vehicle speed to know which gear to select. Did you keep the OBD port? If so, can you hook a scanner up and see what the PCM is seeing? What did you do about the MLPS? Did you keep it and all of the associated wiring?

It sounds like you did a engine transplant. Are you certain you got all the ground wires & power feed wires attached? Did you use a wiring schematic for the vehicle that the engine/trans came out of?
Old 03-08-2013, 10:19 AM

I have VSS out of the PCM connected to the Electronic Speedo. I have Installed a OBD port and will hook up a scanner. I kept most everything that was needed except the knock sensors and O2 sensors. Of course all the cruise control and stuff like that are gone. It drives but I see no speedo signal (0.2 V only) and she shifts. I will tale it out later and manually shift it to see what happens. As for overdrive I am not sure if I have even gone fast enough to shift to OD, I put 3.00 gears in the rear so the top end should be high. I have a wiring diagram.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:05 AM

Last photo:

That engine requires O2 sensors in order for the engine to be properly fueled when in closed loop.

Are you running the Mass Air Flow(MAF) sensor on the air intake before the throttle body?

It would be beneficial to find out what codes your PCM is reporting, Maybe you arent running systems athat are necessary for proper engine function?

You will have to get the PCM tuned to get your tire height and rear gear correct for proper shifting and speedometer reading.

peace
Hog
Old 03-08-2013, 11:47 AM

The PCM was programmed to not have a O2 input along with the tire size and gear ratio. Yes I have the MAF with the fuel injectors as on a 96. My port is not the same as code reader so I have to correct that.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.