4L60E non-interchange issues - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2009, 01:23 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

4L60E non-interchange issues

ok we have gotten another c1500 truck in that needs another 4L60E trans put in it. the last one was a 97 and we could not find one in a yard anywhere because no yard had one for that specific year

they said that it had to be from that specific year only.

so we had to take it to a shop and have it rebuilt.,
now we have a '98 right now that lost reverse and we are stuck with the same problem as with the 97.

how and why do these only fit one single year and wont interchange with any others ?
with what year did this crap begin ?
must have been about 94 or 95 ?

thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by fast68; 05-21-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009, 03:08 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast68
ok we have gotten another c1500 truck in that needs another 4L60E trans put in it. the last one was a 97 and we could not find one in a yard anywhere because no yard had one for that specific year

they said that it had to be from that specific year only.

so we had to take it to a shop and have it rebuilt.,
now we have a '98 right now that lot reverse and we are stuck with the same problem as with the 97.

how and why do these only fit one single year and wont interchange with any others ?
with what year did this crap begin ?
must have been about 94 or 95 ?

thanks
I've been getting this BS with 4L80E transmissions. The problem is that the interchange guides are exact interchange only, whereas the differences are often minor. For example, during that period GM changed out the cooler line fittings from flare fittings to the quick connect. You can change the fittings in the block. Same thing with the neutral safety switch. Some are on the column and some are on the exterior of the trans. Turns out you can sometimes change the shifter shaft in the trans to go one way or the other. If you need the switch on the trans, you need to ensure that the case has the mounting holes for it, however.

The biggest problem is the electrical interface. There are some internal differences in wiring and in function. These you need to understand if you are not doing an exact year and application swap.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

on the 4L60e ... 1995 - 96 - 97 -98 will interchange with the PWM lock up strategy . SOme 1998 have a removable (unbolts) bell housing. that will not interchange easily with the earlier designs.

what must be watched on a 1997 unit is the 3-2 solenoid. The ohm rating was changed from 1996.

the 1997 solenoid 3-2 will be a white plastic. earlier solenoids have a metal stem or a gray - black plastic.

also.... watch for shifter bracket - cable mounting stubs... some cases have extra stubs , others do not
Old 05-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I've been getting this BS with 4L80E transmissions. The problem is that the interchange guides are exact interchange only, whereas the differences are often minor. For example, during that period GM changed out the cooler line fittings from flare fittings to the quick connect. You can change the fittings in the block. Same thing with the neutral safety switch. Some are on the column and some are on the exterior of the trans. Turns out you can sometimes change the shifter shaft in the trans to go one way or the other. If you need the switch on the trans, you need to ensure that the case has the mounting holes for it, however.

The biggest problem is the electrical interface. There are some internal differences in wiring and in function. These you need to understand if you are not doing an exact year and application swap.

as you know you need the spubs for the MLPS to bolt on.... also watch for the stubs for the shifter cable mount.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:32 PM

Last photo:

hmm so technically you could just swap these parts and be ok with using another year right ?

altohugh that being said i dont know my internal trans parts very well for the most part and wouldnt know which parts are these and specifially where they are located, hmm

but regardless it sounds like minor changes..

interesting..

i got lucky on this 98 however, as it turned out to actually be a K1500 and i happened to locate 4 of these trannies in yards near here for this year make model for 350 bucks each,
so i got off easy this time,
unlike with the 97 C1500.
we plan on pulling that truck in the shop real to pull the bad trans out. and pick up a good trans tomorrow.

thanks!
Old 05-27-2009, 04:42 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
what must be watched on a 1997 unit is the 3-2 solenoid. The ohm rating was changed from 1996.
I've got a 98 4l60e and a guy wants to put it into a 96.
Can I just change the 3-2 solenoid from his into the one I have?
Old 05-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy
I've got a 98 4l60e and a guy wants to put it into a 96.
Can I just change the 3-2 solenoid from his into the one I have?

the connectors are different design to avoid a mistake.... I guess you can hack up the connector to make it fit?
Old 05-28-2009, 03:46 AM

Last photo:

Thanks.

That's the only difference I could find betwwen the 2 units in the update handbook.

Pugsy
Old 05-28-2009, 02:33 PM

Last photo:

well the replacement trans is in the truck now.

im curious as to why you cannot unplug the range slector switch assembly harness plug. the gray colored connector specifially.

it just will not slide out of the connector part of the switch assembly housing no mater what you try to do.

what is the deal with this ? is there some kind of lock release on it somehow ??

i figured that maybe it was stuck together with that tar stuff like with fuel pump relay plugs commonly i have found over the years,
also same stuff as they use on the relay plugs for the firebird and fiero headlight motors. black gooey tar crap.

but nope i dont see nay of this stuff on this plug. its worse than that.. like its been locked or pinned on.

thanks again!
Old 05-28-2009, 06:37 PM

Last photo:

The ATSG service manual mentions this problem.
It states that high heat may cause the sealing compound in the switch to melt and flow into the connectors, sealing the connectors to the switch.
They say to let it hang when changing the tranny unless there are electrical problems with it to deal with.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

use heat on the connector... some folks use a lighter or a heat gun.

must be careful to heat slowly and pull at same time.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.