4l60e p1870 no lockup after rebuild by pro shop? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013, 02:21 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

4l60e p1870 no lockup after rebuild by pro shop?

hi everyone! ill get right to it. ive got a 1997 silveraldo with a 4l60e that had 236000 when the tranny went out. I paid 1300 for a rebuild shop to rebuild it and install it. it took three rebuilds for them to get it to hold long enough to drive it home. that was 2-3 years ago.

the problem that it has is, no tcc lock up at all and p1870 code. if I drive it long enough, it will get hot and down shift to 3rd until it cools off. the tranny shop says that its electrical in the truck and there isn't anything they could do. so I parked the truck and have been trying to figure out what to do for a couple years now.
ive decided to pull the tranny out and put it into another truck(replacing it with a nv4500) and so that will take care of any electrical problems that may have been the trucks fault. ive gotten a tcc valve from teckpak/fitzall . but I don't know weather I should install it the way it is or put the tcc valve fix while its out of the truck or install a different valve body or....? what do you guys think? I look forward to hearing your what you guys think I should do. your experience on the subject hopefully will save me from this just being a big waste of money. thanks in advance!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 02:38 PM

Last photo:

ive read and read and read looking for a solution to this problem and ive not been able to come up what I thought was definitely what needed to be done. I know that I probably wont get a 100% "this is what the problem is" answer, but I figure years of experience beat a year or two of reading lol.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by air1514 View Post
hi everyone! ill get right to it. ive got a 1997 silveraldo with a 4l60e that had 236000 when the tranny went out. I paid 1300 for a rebuild shop to rebuild it and install it. it took three rebuilds for them to get it to hold long enough to drive it home. that was 2-3 years ago.

the problem that it has is, no tcc lock up at all and p1870 code. if I drive it long enough, it will get hot and down shift to 3rd until it cools off. the tranny shop says that its electrical in the truck and there isn't anything they could do. so I parked the truck and have been trying to figure out what to do for a couple years now.
ive decided to pull the tranny out and put it into another truck(replacing it with a nv4500) and so that will take care of any electrical problems that may have been the trucks fault. ive gotten a tcc valve from teckpak/fitzall . but I don't know weather I should install it the way it is or put the tcc valve fix while its out of the truck or install a different valve body or....? what do you guys think? I look forward to hearing your what you guys think I should do. your experience on the subject hopefully will save me from this just being a big waste of money. thanks in advance!

Worn out valve body. Install a rebuilt v-body or have the Sonnax TCC kit installed into the PWM circuit inside the v-body. Requires specific tools = reamers
Old 04-04-2013, 09:41 PM

Last photo:

Crosley , I plan to do just like you said and install the sonax tcc kit. with your experience, im sure you know which "fixes" work and which ones don't. just out of curiosity, does the fitzall "fix" that I was going to try even work? the reason why I didn't already have it in a log time ago was because I just wasn't sure that it would work. I mean, I understand that the orings would seal the slop leaks but it wouldn't be able to move like the factory valve does. the sonnax tcc regulator valve that you suggested- I can see right away how it would solve the problem and it would work just like the factory one did. thanks!
Old 04-04-2013, 10:00 PM

Last photo:

and Crosley, what do you think about the trans shop that rebuilt my tranny? shouldn't they have been aware that my tranny would have a worn valve body that needed a special kit? Ive read that 99% of 4l60e's that get rebuilt need a kit for the tcc. the shop looked like they knew what they were doing. it was very clean and stainless steel tables. the first 2 times they rebuilt it, I think the assistant is the one that did it then the third time, the main guy did it. I guess he was probably sick of seeing the truck and may have overlooked the valve body.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:26 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

Three rebuilds later and your asking if the shop is any good?
Old 04-05-2013, 01:20 AM

Last photo:

lol! good point there. I think im gonna stay away from having a trans rebuilt from now on. ive had two rebuilt. both had to be redone several times and nether one was ever done right and they both cost way to much. they were not done by the same place. we only have one good tranny shop in my area, and they stay swamped. guess I should've got in line for them though. thanks
Old 04-05-2013, 01:38 AM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

There are a few very reputable mail order shops out there. I bought my 4l60e from a mail order company about 5 years ago. It's been a very good transmission. Whenever you get something like this done ask for your old parts back after they performed the work. They legally have to give them to you. But wait and ask for them after the job is done. If they tell you they threw them away tell them to go dumpster diving or your not paying!

ALSO MAKE SURE your running a transmission oil cooler and not just through your radiator. Blow out the trans lines going from the transmission to the coolers. Most transmission failures are caused from overheating.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.