4l60e prndl wiring - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 07:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

4l60e prndl wiring

i bought new led lights for the prndl indicators and i have the wiring diagram for the neutral safety switch but not getting anything from the lights. the tranny is from a 98 chevy pickup and was curious if anybody has wired their indicator lights from the stock switch or if you have to buy an aftermarket switch to work the indicator lights, like the one ron francis sells. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 06:32 AM

Last photo:

HI. Unlike incandescent globes, old style regular bayonet style) it didnt matter which way you connected the globes +ve or -ve on the metal case or lead centre, it doesnt matter. With LED lights they are polarized which means one of the two leads out of a LED light is positve and the other negative . If you hook them up the wrong way they wont light up at all. That is the positive wire on the negative lead stops them working.
If you use LED lights as indicators they will flash at a high rate and you will need to slow the flash rate down by using a different flasher unit or a resistor with the led lights. No special switch is required.
Other than that , i am not sure.
Al.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:30 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

The typical shifter switch has only neutral start and reverse lights.
You need a switch that links to the shift linkage that has electrical contacts that close in each position of the shifter.
Then from each of those (5) positions PRNDL run a wire to the respective indicator light.
A hot ignition feed will be connected to all of the (5) positions.
Lokar makes a switch but I have no knowledge if it works.
Some fabrication is required but a standard rotary selector switch could be adapted for this purpose.

vicrod
Old 07-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

X 2 with vicrod.
the stock manual lever position switch for the 4L60E only has 3 inputs to determine gear position/selection.
The scematic shows 3 wire with a gang of 5 switches, which makes it interesting.
I have a schematic , It may help you, or confuse you?
I do not have any way to tell what combination the switches will be on or off in any particualer gear.
An aftermarket setup for you indicators may be the way to go.
Fords MPLS are a little different , at least from what I can tell from the schematics.It has a series of different resistor strips, and each one has a tap, so the value changes each time the selector is moved to the next gear.
I suspect the GM MPLS has resistors in it, allthough the schematic doesnt show it, but 2 switches on one circuit to be in parallel does not make sense, it would be either on or off. It only makes sense that the GM switch also has resistors in it. I just have not had the pleasure of tesing one against a schematic. Even if I did , I am not sure it would help you configure a setup to run your indicators.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	electronic_trans_controls.jpg
Views:	3563
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	66868   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0112.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	615.2 KB
ID:	66869  

Last edited by LATECH; 07-19-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:28 PM

Last photo:

Dakota Digital has a gear selector mech, I've never installed one but it might work for you....... DD is very proude of their stuff tho'

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.