4L60E problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2011, 03:59 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

4L60E problem

Just found this website trying to find answers, got a membership, so here it goes.

I have a '96 Z71 5.7L auto trans. I like to get on it every now and then to hear those sweet sounding flowmasters. so the other night after work, got on it ok, then all of a sudden, was hitting the rev limiter, smoke flying behind me, and couldn't do anything but coast to a stop.

sitting in wal-green's parking lot, put it in park (works fine), tried forward, reverse, nothing. got out, saw my long trail of trans fluid, and got it towed home.

question is, am i going to have to have the trans completely rebuilt? is it just the torque converter? is it just the pump? is it both or all three?

don't have any $$$ to have it rebuilt, trying to do this the cheapest way possible. i've researched some rebuild kits from monster trans, about $500. i've looked for rebuilt tranny's with warranty's and they run about $1200. I'm really not looking to spend that kind of money but if it's that screwed up i don't really have any other choice but to try and come up with it.

any and all advice/answers is greatly appreciated.

-Nathan

Last edited by ss1970chevelle454; 06-27-2011 at 04:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2011, 04:31 AM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi Nathan
Welcome to Hotrodders.com Glad to have you with us

Well Nathan! There's no question something went south & the trans needs to come out & apart. So after going that far makes no sense to just replace one or two items. Do a full rebuild keep the way you drive in mind when ordering parts & build accordingly.
Good luck
Rich
Old 06-27-2011, 06:01 PM

So I took the trans pan off, still had a little bit of fluid in it. however did not find any metal shavings. there were what looked to be a couple of pinky-nail sized rocks at the bottom though. going to take off the rear driveshaft and the converter cover to see what's going on in there. anybody have any possibilities of what the problem may be?
Old 06-27-2011, 07:02 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR PANELS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Any pics of the ''rocks''?
Old 06-27-2011, 07:53 PM

no the rocks got lost somehow during cleanup as it started getting dark out. they were either rocks or clumps of dirt, but i don't know where they're at.

i have got the truck up on 4 ramps in the driveway. guess tomorrow i'll get to wrenching and see what happens.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:06 PM

so i've got the converter cover off (magically), front and rear driveshafts are off, all electrical connections are disconnected.

all i have left to remove now is the transfer case shift lever knob and boot, the dipstick, d/c the shift linkage from the transmission, the fluid cooler lines, speedometer cable or Vehicle Speed sensor (VSS) connector, downshift cable, vacuum modulator line, throttle linkage, transfer case and the adapter, and transmission (all that are applicable, some may not be).

i'm hoping it's just the front seal. don't know how much more i can do this week cause i work evenings and get up in the afternoon. this might be a month long project....uggh
Old 06-28-2011, 10:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

truck is up on 4 ramps? I'd be careful the truck does not roll off the ramps with stuff unhooked.

1996 truck may have the cooler lines that push in... little wire clips to remove first so the cooler line end pulls out.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:51 PM

yeah, it's up on 4 ramps and was a pain in the butt to get it there. trying to do as much as i can without taking it to a shop. i do have the e-brake on. don't think it's going anywhere. i did this all the time with my chevelle trying to install braided steel fuel lines in my parents garage, so it should be fine.

i got the top clip out and loosened the nut, but can't get the line to come out. i was running out of steam anyway, so maybe i can do a little bit here and there late at night with the shop light i got.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.