Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 4L60e, to rebuild or not rebuild, that is the question ?
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Not sure you will care for my comments. Do not confuse my statements here that I am saying a DIY rebuild does not function ( I am not saying that).

On the flip side: transmission parts failures , screw-ups, mistakes from the lack of knowledge are expensive

Also remember There is a difference between replacing parts and rebuilding something properly.

A 4L60e is not a DIY friendly trans. Too many thing can go wrong , not checked or over looked by a DIY.

I put the numbers at '10' on those questions.

Hours needed for rebuild? I know how long it takes me. Can not comment on others.

Success rate for DIY - backyard mechanic? Unkown by me.

Failure causes? I doubt it is parts.

I've chatted with customers that would tell me how the parts we sold him were the problem. Yet I use the same parts in 250 - 300 rebuilds of 4L60 trans every year. So is the failure the cause of our parts or the lack of knowledge and ability?

It has been suggested to me a dozen of times I should write a book on trans rebuilds.. I point out that there are books and videos already available.

Over the years I've had DIY person hand me a rebuild manual as they wheel in boxes of parts from their failed rebuild attempts.

Seasoned mechanics bring in transmissions they built that would not work properly. Upon inspection I find glaring errors.

If you wish to attempt a rebuild ... go for it. I answer questions when needed. You may have "that ability" and all works out well.

Over the years I have watched some folks develop into excellent trans techs. There are a couple on this board