Hot Rod Forum banner

4l60e rebuilt but...no reverse.

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Kawabuggy 
#1 ·
I have a 99 Yukon 4x4. The 4l60e was burned due to a stuck check ball in the separator plate, and fried 3-4 clutches. I've broken the transmission down to the low reverse seal ,cleaned everything good, replaced every seal in the correct location in the right direction...all clutches where soaked in trans fluid and installed in the right orientation. I air checked the transmission before installing the front pump and everything moves freely. The separator plate i upgraded to an more solid thicker plate from transtar. The whole rebuild kit is from transtar. The check balls, all seven where installed 6 in the valve body and I in the case by the accumulator. Anyway help would be great help..please

#4 ·
There are EIGHT (8) check balls that go into the 60E!

7 in the valve body, and 1 in the case!!!! Maybe you just missed 1.. Go back and double check that you have the check balls sorted out before you do anything else.

The little plate that is held on top of the separator plate by 3 8MM bolts.. Did you remember to put that back on and did you tighten those bolts? If you forgot to tighten those bolts it will not have reverse.

As Stuarta alludes to, it's impossible for us to know what you did wrong and so we can't tell you how to fix it. We can only give you guesstimates as I have attempted to do.

Have you driven it? Does it have all forward gears? If it is missing forward gears as well, it may be that a sprag is incorrectly oriented. Did you disassemble sprags for cleaning, or replacement?

#7 ·
What about D1? If you start out with the shifter in D1 does it hold and not slip? If it holds well in D1, then the problem will most likely be in the reverse input drum.

When you rebuilt the pump, did you put the 2 sealing rings on the stator? Did you use scarf cut, or teflon 1 piece? How did you re-size those rings before seating pump into case? If either of those rings is missing, cut, or otherwise damaged-you will have a weak reverse, with slipping. In this pic you can see they have white, 1 piece, teflon sealing rings installed; http://www.wwdsltd.com/4L60/4L60EPumpBodyAlignmentLg.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.