4L60E Shift kit. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2006, 06:34 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

4L60E Shift kit.

Just replaced my trans about two months ago the factory one lasted 144,856 miles I had a corvette servo on it along with some other parts they said would give me a firmer feel well it really didn't so I had already installed a Jet electronic Dilly to shift firmer now the only way that I could feel the servo and other parts work is when I run the Jet kit on the second mode of firmer shifting yes I did install the Jet kit before the servo stuff and it only felt better with the servo stuff do any of you members think that installing the stuff that I did hurt my trans because im running this trans only with Jet kit should I install a servo again with some little pin that comes with it I know that the older trans had a part that was installed for when you install the servo it takes up some slack does anyone know what im talking about a buddy of mine installed the kit the last time he rebuilds transmissions I want to get him to install this kit maybe some of the old shift kit parts might help also im looking at this other kit that comes with some gasket and I think that it where one has to drill out some hole and replace some steel ball I did one many years ago on my 76 Firebird 350 trans I just want a firmer feel but I don't want to trash my rebuilt trans what do you members think and sorry if I confused anyone my buddy was the one that did the work the last time I don't work on transmissions im lost im sure my buddy will know something but I want to see what you say? PS- Again sorry if I confused any members with my write up it was a long time ago I don't remember what parts were in the first kit I know it didn't come with the gasket that I mentioned and my Morphine, and Kadian, is affecting me I have a bad back.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2006, 06:54 AM

Transmission

Me again two kits im thinking of buying which one is the best.
1.(Corvette servo, servo release "check valve," and filter/gasket set for GM 4L60 and 4L60e transmission )
OK guys this is what im looking at as well is it worth it I already have a Corvette servo from old trans?
NEXT

I'm also looking looking at this item or kit which is better?
2.(NEW** STILL IN BOX

B&M Transpak 4L60E 91-01. The next step beyond the Shift Improver Kit. The Transpak has all the features in the Shift Improver Kit. Most conventional automatic transmissions won't downshift into low gear above 15 mph, and automatically upshift at a predetermined speed no matter what gear you are in. With a Transpak you can downshift at any speed, you can also hold the transmission in first gear to any speed that you want. Stage 1. Heavy Duty For street rods, normal passenger vehicles or other heavy duty use. Firmer shift feel but not harsh. Improves transmission performance and life dramatically without loss of comfort. Normal automatic operation when in "Drive". Stage 2. Hi-Performance Street For full performance street use. Essentially the same as Heavy Duty mode except shift is much snappier. Retain full automatic features and standard shift points with selector in "Drive").
Thanks! GMCTRUCKS
Old 12-17-2006, 09:25 AM

4L60E Shift kit

Your right,your post is hard to read,you may want to post first, then take the morphine. Acutally this is how I was posting,not on morphine,but with run on sentences,when I first started.

Crosley suggested I structure my sentences a little better,so people could actually read them. He was right, and I did.

After reading your post,I see what he was talking about.

Anyway,as best as I could tell,you do not have the corvette servo installed,it should be.

If you need to hold the trans in low,as long as you like,and you don't mind the hassle of installing the kit,I say go for it.

As long as you do not eliminate the accumulators,firm shifts are good!
Old 12-17-2006, 10:41 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

GMCTRUCKS;

I do not see any year listed for this vehicle.

Only reason I ask is the corvette servo will cause an odd shift feel at a high throttle shift IF the truck's PCM torque management programming is active .

Torque management programming cuts the engine power back during a high torque load shift ( read that as high throttle position). You need a special programmer & software to shut off Torque management.

The B&M shift improver / transpak kit should list the 4L60E starting year as 1993
Old 12-17-2006, 11:06 AM

Trans

It's a 93 model F/S with 5.7 engine I also have a Hypertech stage two chip in it the instructions on the stage two chip state that it will give a more positive second gear response I didn't see that happen.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCTRUCKS
It's a 93 model F/S with 5.7 engine I also have a Hypertech stage two chip in it the instructions on the stage two chip state that it will give a more positive second gear response I didn't see that happen.
IF you are wanting a snappy shift.... use a TransGo 4L60E-HD2 shift kit.

While you have the valve body down & 2-4 servo out , remove the check ball capsul in the servo bore. Install a 3/8 inch cup plug in it's place.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:50 PM
ASE Certified Master Machinist

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: More Pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
IF you are wanting a snappy shift.... use a TransGo 4L60E-HD2 shift kit.

While you have the valve body down & 2-4 servo out , remove the check ball capsul in the servo bore. Install a 3/8 inch cup plug in it's place.

I second Crosleys advice. I used the same kit in my 4L60E when I rebuilt it and am very happy.

Barry
Old 05-20-2012, 10:48 AM

Finally my Trans is fine.

Finally had to get my Trans rebuilt im telling you the builder said the Trans ate his lunch he had a hard time getting reverse to work correct so now that it's been up-dated with better parts like the The Beast Sun Shell im going to install TransGo 4L60E-HD2.

The builder said he installed so many new parts that was making reverse slip he really didn't know what the problem was well at least he was honest.

I could go on and on with the problems the Trans was giving me
Old 05-20-2012, 03:22 PM
owner of Prices Garage

Last photo:

i like this set up for trucks B&m shift kit only i use the oem 1-2 accululator spring a Sonnax .490 o ringed boost valve corvette servo it will shift fast with out being harsh at normal driving

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.