Hot Rod Forum banner

4l60e shifts from 1st to 3rd

18K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  tnsmith10 
#1 ·
Hey guys and gals,

I just rebuilt my kids tranny. He has a 1997 chevy silverodo. Now that the tranny is done it shifts from 1st to 3rd. No 2nd or overdrive. We redid the 2/4 servo so i dont think its that. The tranny went together well so im lost. Any Ideas?

#3 ·
Yes it does have reverse.

The band anchor i believe is fine. It seemed to set just fine and band itself was in excellent shape. Not new but had very minimal wear. Is there a picture somewhere were i can see the shift solenoid layout. So i know which solenoid is which? We have 2 tranny’s and chose to use a solenoid from the other tranny. I would like to know if this is one that i changed.

Also just so you know. We rebuilt the tranny because he lost 3rd and 4th. It had every other gear until this winter when he got stuck, so while trying to get out he welded some clutch plates together. In other words it was stuck in 2nd. That why we bought the second tranny for parts.

Thanks for the help

#4 ·
interesting problem.

Both solenoids are " electrically on" for first gear.

both solenoids are "off " for 3rd gear ... It would appear the solenoids are operational to me

No 2nd or 4th gears would indicate a band problem , not solenoid problem to me.

If you place the shifter in "2nd gear" manually .. what gear does the vehicle actually drive in? That shifter position would put the trans in 2nd gear at a full stop too

#6 ·
you can air check it with the valve body removed.

you can use a pry bar to push the servo cover in for check on clearance. Cover should only push in about 1/8 of an inch with proper clearance setup

#8 ·
sceit said:
I guess im gona have to tear it apart again. That sucks

Im curious though. There is 5 electronic selinoids on the valvebody. What are they for? i would love to find a diagram for the wiring in there.

Thanks
thats understandable, its helps in understanding how it works. in this case though, what your dealing with is a mechanical issue. the band applies for 2nd and 4th gears and the servo is what applies the band.
i read in your origional post that you redid the servo, what do you mean by that? did you change pins or parts on the servo? did you put the teflon sealing rings on the servo? did you install the band? other than that, it would be a good idea to follow crosleys advice and at least air check the band. which you dont have to remove the trans from the vehicle to do.
another thought is, are you sure its shifting 1-3? did you make sure that the valve body gaskets are right? theyre marked for which goes to the case, and which goes to the valve body.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.