Hot Rod Forum banner

4l60e sounds like I throw into park only at a slow roll

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  pilona42 
#1 ·
Im hoping you fellow car guys can help me out on this one. I have a 97 chevy 1500 4x4 with a 4l60e tranny. I am experiencing a horrible clicking sound only at slow speeds and is in sync with engine rpm's. It sounds like I tried to throw it into park from a roll. Once I gain some speed it will go away. I can give it unlimited power with the brakes on in gear but at soon as the wheels start to move the sound reers its ugly face. I pulled the pan and everything looks fine. One of the shift solinoids seems a litte loose but it is cliped in securiy. Does anyone have any ideas. This is my only vehicle and I need to find the problem before a catostrophic falirure happens.

#4 ·
Place your shift selector in 2nd gear, then drive around and see if the noise is the same. You will start from a dead stop in 2nd gear. It will stay in 2nd gear as long as you keeo the throttle angle under 87.5%. If you go ver 87.5% while your speed is under 29mph, but once your speed is over 29mph the trans will stay in 2nd gear even at WOT all the way up to the stock 5600rpm rev limiter.

Your 97 could either have the 2 or 3 piece 4l60e. My 1997 rcsb 2wd Vortec 350 had the 2 piece originally. I am now running a 1999 3 pice unit.

2 piece-main body/integral bellhousing, tailstock- conventional bellhousing sheetmetal inspection cover
3 piece-bolt on bellhousing, main body, tailstock Has a 360º cast bellhousing

Some late 1997 trucks have the 3 piece 4l60e.

peace
Hog

#7 ·
ok, so I got some fluid back in her and drove around a little. It still does it when I start out in second as well. Before I reistalled the pan I looked over the valve body again. I noticed somthing about that loose shift actuator that I had discovered previously. The rod that it controls doesnt seem to have any spring to it. Im not very familier with trannies but this did not seem right as all the other rods in the valve body have a sping action to retract it to a specific location. Is this somthing I should be concerned about?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.