4L60E swap Questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Takin' It Easy

Wiki Edits: 0

4L60E swap Questions

Hi All, Hope everyone is doing good. I just have a couple short questions. I have a 1995 GMC Sierra EC Z71 4X4. It has the 4L60E Trans. in it now that has the neutral safety/backup light switch connected to the outside of the housing. I have a 4L60E trans. without the included neutral safety/backup light switch on the side. Other than the obvious that the neutral safety and back up lights will not work would there be any other problems stemming from this swap? I am doing the swap because I no longer have 2nd or passing gear anymore in the one now in the truck . Thanks to any and all that reply, And have a good one!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012, 12:51 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowride59
Hi All, Hope everyone is doing good. I just have a couple short questions. I have a 1995 GMC Sierra EC Z71 4X4. It has the 4L60E Trans. in it now that has the neutral safety/backup light switch connected to the outside of the housing. I have a 4L60E trans. without the included neutral safety/backup light switch on the side. Other than the obvious that the neutral safety and back up lights will not work would there be any other problems stemming from this swap? I am doing the swap because I no longer have 2nd or passing gear anymore in the one now in the truck . Thanks to any and all that reply, And have a good one!

You will find that is a MLPS = Manual Lever Position Sensor. It tells the PCM where the shifter location / gear selected.

You also need to be careful of what year the replacement 4L60e is.

If the replacement trans case has the bolt / threaded spuds for the MLPS , you can change the shift shaft. that may be too involved for a DIY in some situations

Old 03-18-2012, 06:59 AM
Takin' It Easy

4L60E Swap

Thank You For your response. The replacement trans. I have is suppose to be a 1996. It has the 4 bolt assembly pattern for the transfer adapter. I knew to look for that and yes it does have the threaded holes to mount the elect. unit on to it. I have no problem in changing the shaft. Which that was my first thought about it but I wanted to check with people on here first. Could you tell me what other possible things to check to make sure this swap will work? Thank You Again , Tony
Old 04-12-2012, 11:20 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

well according to interchange and everything is iver seen and been through and such over the years 1995 was a one year transmission due to electrical differences etc

1993 1994 go together

1996 1997 go together

]and 1998 to 2000 go together

but 1995 was a standalone 4L60E

if you swap wiring and pcm from a 1996 1997 truck then the 1996 trans should work fine- again from everything ive ever read and seen and heard anyways

and, the first number/digit of the code on the sticker on the trans case is the last digit of the model year of the trans and of the truck its from

example: 9TAD
would be a 1999 model year trans and the truck its from would be a 1999 model year.

right now im dealing with this 1998 bravada smart trak i just replaced the trans with a good used lower miles one i had trouble with the range switch it broke apart when i tried to unplug it and i forgot how much the factory glued these connectors to the switch and so therefore i broke ruined the switch of course on the trans that was in the truck

well the larger connector wont plug into the switch on the replacement trans completely and the trans will not leave 2nd gear

so im sure i have a range switch to pcm signal issue

so i am gonna make sure i have full 12 volts to the pink wire at the RS connector and if so then im gonna have to swap another RS and connector pigtails here in a bit right now

and hope its good and not something else like clogged up trans fluid cooler tubes/lines

hmmmmmmmmm

for some reason though the 98 bravada RS larger connector has one less wire/pin than all the other 1995 to 03 years ones out there

not sure how or why

the connectors are supposed to be 7 and 4 wires each

why the 98 has one less i have no idea humm

i guess i just will ignore the extra wire on the pigtail and let it be free and unused.

hmmmmmmmm.,,.,.,.

good luck!

Last edited by fast68; 04-12-2012 at 11:26 PM.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.