4L60E trans vs 4L80E - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2009, 11:31 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Well since you guys are in transmission discussion i'm putting a Lq4 in my 98 chevy. It has a 4l60e. I need to be able to tow 5000lbs long distances without problem. Hence the 6.0L. But i was told I should swap to the 4L80e. What would you guys recommend for the truck so I can tow and still get good fuel economy. 4L60E with a controller, 4L80E, or 200R4? or one of the other L70e, 60e etc.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2009, 12:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavetim
Well since you guys are in transmission discussion i'm putting a Lq4 in my 98 chevy. It has a 4l60e. I need to be able to tow 5000lbs long distances without problem. Hence the 6.0L. But i was told I should swap to the 4L80e. What would you guys recommend for the truck so I can tow and still get good fuel economy. 4L60E with a controller, 4L80E, or 200R4? or one of the other L70e, 60e etc.

Buy a diesel powered truck is my recommendation
Old 11-16-2009, 07:07 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

4L80E is the only way to go. You can build a 4L60E to do it, but you'll spend as much as a 4L80E.

But 6.0L and MPG can't really be put in the same sentence. Diesel will pretty easily double your towing mileage.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavetim
The big problem with the 4L60E in pickups is keeping them cool, the other problem you will have is the result of the condition that automatics wear out at about the same rate as the engine they're attached to. This is to say as the engine ages and looses power, the transmission also ages and looses its ability to manage power. When an old automatic is faced with a frisky ne engine, what remains of its life expectancy goes pretty fast.

200R4 is out, these are not meant for trucks no where near strong enough and have a higher ratio in low making the launch of a heavy truck rather not inspiring. A rebuilt and beefed 4L60E, 4L65 or 4L70E with controller would work. The 4L80E with controller would probably be over-kill; which I would consider to be just right.

What-ever you use, it must have a good size external cooler. Towing puts a lot of load on an automatic and the in-radiator oil cooler is just not sufficient. But cooling the oil isn't simple, if you avoid the radiator cooler completely, then you need a thermostatic by-pass so when the weather is cold the trans oil is not routed thru the cooler till it reaches about 180 degrees. If you route thru the radiator's heat exchanger without by-pass, then I recommend going thru the external cooler first, then thru the radiator exchanger to warm the oil up a bit. You just don't want to be dumping ice cold oil back into the trans any more than overheated oil.

Bogie
Old 11-17-2009, 08:55 PM

If the LQ4 came with the 4L60E, you might want to check the towing capacity of the vehicle it came from, it could be good enough, 5000lbs is not that bad.
A 4L80E is heavier inside, so not as good on gas, but I do not know by how much.
Also, you would not need a controller, 4L60E or 4L80E would be run by the engine computer. Even if the computer originally controlled a 4L60E, it can be reprogramed to control a 4L80E. Speartech is good for reprograming and harness mods.
By the way, cooler manufacturers usually recommend sending the fluid first through the stock radiator then through the extra cooler...
Old 11-17-2009, 09:16 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

5000 lbs is not unreasonable to pull long distances with a 6.0. In fact it's suited quite well for that. The 6.0 is a darn good engine and I think that, even though it would be nice to have, a diesel would be overkill for 5000 lbs.

My boat and trailer weigh nearly 5000 lbs and I've pulled mountain passes at 55-60 in 4th gear in my 2000 Silverado 2500 with an LQ4 without any problems. The last time I made the trip across Snoqualmie pass here in Washington State I averaged 13.7 mpg. There's no way a diesel would come anywhere close to doubling that and even at a 25% improvement in mileage it would take a long time to recoup the added cost of buying the diesel. Granted, my truck has a five speed manual and 3.73 gears. Both of which are unusual for these trucks.

As far as transmission choice, I'd probably go with the 4L80E. I think that's the only automatic GM put in the gas HD 3/4 tons that didn't have the 8.1 and the 6.0 wasn't offered in the 1/2 tons. (special GMC Sierra models excluded) Gearing is up to you. I've pulled a Case skid steer weighing 8000 lbs (including trailer) with my 3.73 gears with no issues.

Last edited by Blazin72; 11-18-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:42 AM

Like pretty much everybody else has said I'd go with the 4l80e. Better to be safe than sorry.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.