4l60e transmission question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2006, 09:23 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

4l60e transmission question

my 1996 chevrolet z-71 did not show a check engine light but i
noticed my low gear and overdrive was not working i took it to a local mechanic and a po753( solenoid a electrical )
code showed up on computer. what could cause this particular code to show up and where could i get a diagram of solenoids in this transmissions.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2006, 10:28 PM
Check the water, check the oil

Last photo:

"First, thanks Dnult for your help throughout this project. I am posting these results so that others can refer to it in case they experience the same problem.

The problem: 97 4sp Auto 4L60E Transmission, Service Engine Soon Light came on, then transmission started shifting funny. It would start out in second and only shift to third. No first and no overdrive.

The cause: Bad Shift Solenoid. I went to Autozone to get a free OBDII reading and they told me the code was P753 - "Shift Solenoid "A" -- Electrical." When a shift solenoid goes bad, the transmission goes into a "limp-home" mode which is the 2-3 shift only (and that one shift seems to be kind of harsh....).

Autozone doesn't stock the shift solenoid but the dealer did. AC Delco # 10478131 $19.18.

I had to take the transmission pan down to reach the solenoid so I also got the supplies to change the fluid and tranny filter while I was in there. It helps to have a very large drip pan so you can catch all of the fluid --There is no drain-plug. You just have to remove the bolts and let the fluid spill out. There are two identical shift solenoids ('A' 1-2 shift and 'B' 2-3 shift). I pulled them both --be sure to take out the retainer clips on the bottom and then disconnect the wiring harness) With wires, I jumped them off the battery to locate the bad one - the good one clicked the bad one did nothing at all -- easy to spot!! The filter pulls out without any tools -- in the hole where the filter comes out, there is a metal/rubber seal -- take that out with a screwdriver carefully so you dont nick the tranny case. Insert the new seal and filter. The new solenoid went back in the same way it came out. I cleaned the gasket surfaces on the pan and tranny and bolted everything back in place. It takes about 6-7 quarts of Dextron III fluid to refill through the dipstick-tube if you change the filter. I started the motor and put the tranny in and out of all the gears several times to "bleed" everything down there. Mission accomplished! It works perfectly -- Special thanks to Dnult who gave me guidence throughout this project! You Rule ! ! ! !"

Got it off of a different forum, but hopefully it helps you out. I've done a couple of these they're not too bad if I remember correctly. This is a good description of how to take care of this, and hopefully get you back on the road!
Old 05-11-2006, 10:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

I would change both shift solenoids.

Be careful with the back edge of the pan and contact against the solenoids if space is tight around a crossmember or exhaust pipe. You can break the solenoids
Old 05-11-2006, 10:44 PM
Check the water, check the oil

Last photo:

Good advice. It'll save you later if B decides to go out. Thanks Crosley!

~65
Old 03-08-2009, 10:01 AM

04 tahoe

im guessin this would be the same way on a 04 tahoe? i judt ordered the solenoids. iv changed them on my old 97 chevy just wonderin if its the same way on the tahoe? thanks
Old 03-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

Yes, same applies.

You may have found this old thread in a search, the info is still valid, though.
"Dollars are like votes, except that they actually count."
Old 03-08-2009, 04:12 PM

ok thanks

yeah i found it in a search, but thanks

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.