Hot Rod Forum banner

4l60e troubleshooting

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  dogwater 
#1 ·
Hello and thank you for welcoming me to this forum.

I recently purchased a 95 4l60e in a Tahoe. The previous owner had been driving the car with a leaky transmission and therefore he was not keeping the fluid level up. When I checked the dip stick it barely registered anything.

Took the pan off and it was very clean except the magnet had a small layer of extremely fine build up.

The trans seems to shift fine except it has difficulty moving from 1st to 2nd. If you help it along via the throttle or downshift to second then it seems to shift but outside of that it will stay in 1st.

2 questions.

1) Your take on the issue that needs to be repaired?

2) I've never worked on a trans before other than gaskets and seals, with the right book is this something a mechanically inclined person can tackle without someone there guiding them?

Thank you much, Justin

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like no ones going to answer you,so here's my two cents.Yes you can rebuild it,Ive rebuild many engines but have never been past putting in a shift kit on a trans.I just got done rebuilding a 700r4, their just about the same except for the valve body. I bought 3 manuals/books an lots of web surfing, & some help from the rebuild kit instructions.I made some mistakes but caught them in time.I had to completely start over two times before it went back into my Camaro but I couldn't be happier.It took me a month to rebuild.I took my time, and researched the changes I did.Ill say it wasn't as hard as I first though but you gotta have your **** together,like no drinking,calling it a day when you get frustrated,an planing ahead (knowing what you have to do next). Depending on what you want out of it you might end up spending from 250.00 for a simple rebuild to 800.00 like I did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.