Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   4l60E will not move (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/4l60e-will-not-move-247466.html)

Line626 10-12-2013 07:25 AM

4l60E will not move

hello, thanks in advance for all comments and ideas! 2002 chevy z71 205,000 miles, I have no forward and reverse movement. i made sure transfer case was in gear, so then I checked the fluid it was a lil above full dark in color and smelled burnt. I came to this forum and read through trying to find ideas and info. then I did some tests that I read. checked o2 sensor fuse its good, unplugged mass air flow sensor no changes, unplugged test port above linkage I have a good stream of fluid [going to get a guage]. I jacked up rear put it in gear and tires started turning to idle speed, then I applied accelerator up to 2500 rpms and speedometer fell to zero no rotation of tires. I left it in gear [drive], after 5-10 minutes heard a click and tires started rotating to idle speed the immediately back to nothing. it did this several times. any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Line626 10-12-2013 09:11 AM

update........ I put a guage on the test port, checked fluid level on cold truck, then started truck and checked fluid again and it dropped. then checked guage, guage fluctuated 60 psi in park, 80 psi in reverse, and 60 in all other gears. then after warming up for a few minutes guage fell to zero in all gears.

Crosley 10-12-2013 11:00 AM

if the 205 k miles are accurate on the transmittin, it is worn out twice.

The filter may be clogging up, to cause full loss of pressure.

have you dropped the pan? A filter change is not expensive, may be worth the effort as a test.

when removing the pan from trans in that truck, be careful with shift solenoids. You can break them trying to get pan off trans around exhaust pipe IF the pipe crowds the pan as most GM trucks

Line626 10-12-2013 11:54 AM

the mileage is correct. im in the process of doing a filter change now.

Line626 10-12-2013 04:26 PM

update.......... I replaced filter and now it has the right pressures and truck is rolling again. Now since the miles are high should I do a transmission flush or just run it like it is? which is better for my situation? im saving up for a complete rebuild by the way.

ssimpala 10-12-2013 05:55 PM

Do NOT flush it. With that mileage it's probably badly worn and you need those little grains of clutch fiber to keep it going for a while...but plan a rebuild soon.

markdavid 10-12-2013 06:07 PM

yep , save for a build and eeeaa****yyy does it on the thing for now !!!!:sweat:

Line626 10-12-2013 07:13 PM

Thanks for all the help! ill keep on truckn my friends!

C-cab dreamer 10-13-2013 11:54 PM

You did mention that the tranny fluid was burned. There's always a reason for that, and whatever the reason is - it isn't good. Burned hydraulic fluid doesn't work the same as new, and if you expect to get another few thousand miles out of your vehicle, you should change it and the filter PDQ.

jokerZ71 10-14-2013 04:25 AM

A regular filter/fluid change only changes about half you fluid,so,run it a few hundred miles & do another filter/fluid change.DO NOT FLUSH !!!