4l60e won't select gears after rebuild, who can solve this one ?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2011, 01:37 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

4l60e won't select gears after rebuild, who can solve this one ??

Went to select gears to do the line pressure test, and I couldn't select any gears at all, not a single one. this is what i did, I'll give you guys as much details as I can.

Went to do the line pressure test on the rebuilt tranny (new clutches, seals, electrical, servos, recoed pump......) after doing the following:

-installed a new T/converter (3 cluncks, sitting just below the top of the bell housing).
- raised the tranny up onto the dowel pins, (sitting 1-2mm away from the engine)
- pushed her against the engine and bolted her up. T/converter spun freely after the bell housing was bolted up.

- I bolted up the t/converter all was fine.

-Also, I replaced the TBP sensor, knock sensors,cam shaft and cranck shaft sensors. Also replaced the air intake manifold gasket.

- Started her up. all was running fine.

Added ATF fluid up to the correct level in the tranny (12 quarts, amazing !!).
I even disconnected the upper cooler line at the radiator to make sure the pump was pumping ATF, and it was.

Then went to select gears to do the line pressure test, and I couldn't select any gears at all, not a single one.

When i shifted manually on the tranny (when turned off) all selections were not a problem.

I checked the lever was seated on the cut outs of the shift bolt, and it was.

Used an OBDII scanner and found no codes.

A replaced a blown ATC fused and no change, but and strangely, I now have no speedometer reading.

the cables at the throttle body have bit of slack in them. I am thinking the cable it snapped somewhere.

You help here would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2011, 06:16 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

did you hook up the linkage from the rooster on the manual arm to the manual valve? and if that not the issue, if you have no speedo, the trans wont shift through the forward gears.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:35 AM

Last photo:

thanks for the help tnsmith10.

OK Lets work through the possible issues, and a possible tests for each one:

1. Linkage from the manual valve to the rooster combo.
"did you hook up the linkage from the rooster on the manual arm to the manual valve? and if that not the issue, "
I'm 99.99% sure it was one OK, I can even remember turning the manual valve to line up the hole for the linkage.

Test A- Can i put the car up on all 4's, and detach the cable form the selector switch, then manually work through the gears.

2. No speedo display.
"if you have no speedo, the trans wont shift through the forward gears."Does this mean the display console is out?, what do i need to do to verify it? Do I have to replace the whole display console $$?
Test B- ??

3. Broken selector cable.

Test C- like test A.

The 4l60e is a great test of patience and motivation.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:25 AM

Last photo:

OK here are a few extra things:

I found a broken shift cable. that might be one of the problems ??

Also, with the speedo, it doesn't show zero, but it only shows full throttle, always. I found a TSB on an issue with stepper motors going faulty in gm vehicles simualr to mine, the fuel level gauge also shows empty with half a full tank.

Could these two issue casue no shift into any gears or not, man I need a solution here??

Also, how do you seperate this connection?

Any help would be great.

Last edited by old yukon; 05-29-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:59 PM

Last photo:

even with the cable half brocken / bent it still manually shifts?

I cant work this one out.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:09 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by old yukon
OK here are a few extra things:

I found a broken shift cable. that might be one of the problems ??

Also, with the speedo, it doesn't show zero, but it only shows full throttle, always. I found a TSB on an issue with stepper motors going faulty in gm vehicles simualr to mine, the fuel level gauge also shows empty with half a full tank.

Could these two issue casue no shift into any gears or not, man I need a solution here??

Also, how do you seperate this connection?

Any help would be great.
ok, for the speedo dropout, a new v.s.s. located in the t-case should take care of the no shifting.
the fuel lever working here and there, 9 times out of 10, a new fuel pick up is needed which has the sensor built in, and usually has a p0463 dtc stored in the pcm.
as far as your shift cable goes, there is a plastic lock that comes from the rear to the front that keeps the retaining clip from coming out. after its out, a flat head screw driver between the retaining clip and the cable housing and it will come out. once it has been removed, a pair of pliers around the locking tabs and the cable will come out of the bracket.

Last edited by tnsmith10; 05-29-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:44 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for that.
that is 3 v speed sensors.
one cable.
one pump pick up.

Q. is there a problem if i put the rear up on jack stands, and manually select through the gears when the truck is running?
Old 05-30-2011, 05:27 AM

Last journal entry: Some More Roll Cage Fabrication
Last photo:

That's very dangerous! What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
Old 05-30-2011, 07:08 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Thanks for that.
that is 3 v speed sensors.
one cable.
one pump pick up.

Q. is there a problem if i put the rear up on jack stands, and manually select through the gears when the truck is running?
that has a np 246 t-case? i thought it was old enough to just have a 3 wire vehicle speed sensor. now with this info, you need a scan tool with a live data stream to find out if its the output speed sensor, or the vehicle speed sensor in the rear diff. do you have an ABS light on?
Old 05-30-2011, 07:43 AM

Last photo:

OK I just bought the 3 new sensors and will doing them and the cable by tomorrow, God willing.

Couldn't find a pump in stock, but hopefully that can be delayed as the fuel is still pumping.

The ABS lights do come on now and then. Don't tell me a faulty ABS system will mean no gear selection??

Removed the instrument cluster apart and the old type stepper motors seem faulty, as a few of the dials just free spin while others remain stationery.

tnsmith10, I have a CanOBD2 diagnostic scan tool (Equus) 3200 but i dont know much about these tools

(http://www.equus.com/Product/Detail/...A-AA8D790E6DA4)

With the idea of raising the rear, for get about it. It was just a crazy idea I had to see of the cable was the problem with the gear selection. I'm getting a bit desperate now.

I started of just wanting to fix my truck and now I slowly becoming an apprentice mechanic, its like you get sucked into the zone of car repairs and it become your life, and for some it becomes a real art and passion.

Last edited by old yukon; 05-30-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:24 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
OK I just bought the 3 new sensors and will doing them and the cable by tomorrow, God willing.

Couldn't find a pump in stock, but hopefully that can be delayed as the fuel is still pumping.

The ABS lights do come on now and then. Don't tell me a faulty ABS system will mean no gear selection??

Removed the instrument cluster apart and the old type stepper motors seem faulty, as a few of the dials just free spin while others remain stationery.

tnsmith10, I have a CanOBD2 diagnostic scan tool (Equus) 3200 but i dont know much about these tools

(http://www.equus.com/Product/Detail/...A-AA8D790E6DA4)

With the idea of raising the rear, for get about it. It was just a crazy idea I had to see of the cable was the problem with the gear selection. I'm getting a bit desperate now.

I started of just wanting to fix my truck and now I slowly becoming an apprentice mechanic, its like you get sucked into the zone of car repairs and it become your life, and for some it becomes a real art and passion.
ok, if your scan tool has abs built in where you can scan the abs for codes, you need to do that first before installing the sensors in the t-case, as they may not be needed and can be returned if they dont get installed.
the v.s.s. is located i the rear diff and if your having an intermittent abs light come on and it correlates to the speedo, its quite possible that is the problem on why the truck is not shifting in the forward gears.
you keep mentioning gear selection like its not getting any gears at all, does the thing even have reverse?
Old 05-30-2011, 08:51 AM

Last photo:

"the v.s.s. is located i the rear diff and if your having an intermittent abs light come on and it correlates to the speedo, its quite possible that is the problem on why the truck is not shifting in the forward gears"

How?

Here is the location of the VSS on the tcase, I have not found any VSS on the rear diff I'll have another look.

"you keep mentioning gear selection like its not getting any gears at all, does the thing even have reverse?"

Ok, here's the deal.

After the the truck started up after 6 months of sitting there in the driveway, I went to shift the car into reverse, while the car was running. as soon as I shifted out of park, the gave me a grrrrbuzzzz noise like an electrical switch was trying to engage something, like happens when the the t case is hunting gear selection.

Then I could continue to move the colum shifter down to N, OD,D1,D2 to try and get some forward movement so i could chaulk the front wheels before rasing it.

The noise was scarry, so I went to put it back into Park, but couldn't.
I had to put it into neutral, turn it of, the put it into park. This happend 3 time.

I might try it again with reverse, it its not a problem.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:05 AM

Last journal entry: Some More Roll Cage Fabrication
Last photo:

Mechanical linkage on transfer case or electric mode motor? Perhaps the t-case isn't engaged?
Old 05-30-2011, 09:22 AM

Last photo:

Ethen, why do you say that ?

When I installed the the tcase, with new force motor, then the rear driveshaft I was able to turn the driveshaft by hand and didnt notice an engagment problem.

Tnsmith10, it doesnt do ABS, the double price model does. Is there another way other then buying the abs sensors?

Last edited by old yukon; 05-30-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:46 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

p.m. old yukon

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.