Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 4L60E Yoke Leak?
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 08:17 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

4L60E Yoke Leak?

My beloved 94' Chevy C1500 5.7L SWB burned out its fuel pump 5months ago so I parked it in my storage unit for that period of time. After I let it sit for 2weeks I noticed ATF under the trans and against the wall of the storage unit. Not a lot of fluid, but I know that shouldn't be there. I assumed after past experience with buddies trucks it was the tail-shaft seal. Boy was I wrong.

Yesterday I spent $550+ on parts to get it tuned up and running back like it should, got a new fuel sender and pump and installed it in the tank and reinstalled the tank back under the truck. After that I turned my attention to the leak on the transmission. During inspection I noticed the tail-shaft seal was dry...but the Yoke coming out of the tail-shaft was damp and had fluid about ready to drip.

So my questions were could a Yoke leak...after searching here I've found they can.

Does anyone have any input and or a picture on what needs to be replaced to stop this leak? Can I just drop and slide out the driveshaft to get to these items to be replaced? Or does the tailshaft have to come off? Is special tools required?

One thing I know is it sounds this o-ring in here is old and just gave out.