Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 4l65e rebuild
Thread: 4l65e rebuild
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 12:34 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

4l65e rebuild

Hi everyone,

I recently pulled my 4l65e transmission from a 2006 Escalade to rebuild because I lost reverse. I scowered over many sites and threads on the web searching for help and guidance from posts as I had never done this before. Found some real good info on this site and it was instrumental in guiding my rebuild. This is not a hotrod but a everyday driver so I was not trying to beef it up to be high HP capable but I did want a improved build. I replaced all the clutch packs with upgraded frictions /steels and used a wide band with a new reverse input housing and upgraded the sun shell to the beast and replaced my pump with a used unit that i went through to make sure it had everything that was needed and was in proper working condition. These things along with all the seals and some replaced bonded seal pistons and accumulator pistons and seals and orings .

I just got the think back in operation and I have some issues.After the fluid fill I took it for it maiden excursion around the bloc and then back to check the fluid level and everything was working like a dream. Since the fluid was fine I took it out again to just drive it easy a bit to make sure all was well. In short order I found that the transmission became reluctant to downshift back to 1st gear when comming to a stop. it appeared stuck in second at that point with no upshifr to 3rd. Now I can manually shift through all the gears fine but the transmission will not shift on it own in D. It initally runs great until it warms up it seems and then is when it starts acting this way.

I have had a couple people tell me to check the 2-4 servo travel to make sure that the band is not too tight. Being a novice I did not do this when I had the tranny out of the truck. But Im just learning here. Anywho .... I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this as a solution or any other things that may be more appropriate to check. I hope I can get the servo out while it is still in the truck. It does seem cramped in its location.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jim