Hot Rod Forum banner

4l80e - selector switch q

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  jakeshoe 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have the opportunity to purchase a 4l80e - BUT it has a broken selector switch on the side of the box:

Can anyone confirm if this is needed with an aftermarket controller? - I thought the lever position was deturmined by internal switches - is this just for the dashboard or something?

thanks,

See less See more
#2 ·
that is a MLPS ; Manual Lever Position Sensor and is needed fpr the OEM application for the PCM to know where the shift lever is.

I do not know of an after market controller that use the MLPS

#3 ·
Yep,
You can remove that for an aftermarket controller. You can also retrofit an early 4L80E manual shaft so it is shorter.
Have fun getting the "nail" out. :)

The MLPS's are always broken, I can never get the connectors loose without damaging them. $35 new, I just replace them. IIRC there was a GM TSB on those because of the sealant.

#4 ·
jakeshoe said:
Yep,
You can remove that for an aftermarket controller. You can also retrofit an early 4L80E manual shaft so it is shorter.
Have fun getting the "nail" out. :)

The MLPS's are always broken, I can never get the connectors loose without damaging them. $35 new, I just replace them. IIRC there was a GM TSB on those because of the sealant.
heat the connector area up with a lighter or a small butane torch... they come apart easily then for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.