4speed Chev trannys? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2002, 08:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Unhappy 4speed Chev trannys?

I am the proud Owner of A 1966 Chevy Biscyne and have recently rebuilt a 350 for it. I am currently running a TH400 tranny but am confused on the issue of 4 speed manual transmissions that will work with my motor any help would be greatly appreiciated

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2002, 09:20 PM

Well if your car already has a manual tranny setup than a ive been told that a strait 6 3 spd manual trans will work just as well on most small block setups i mean i could be wrong but it does not hurt to ask around at shops or even at the track.

Newport
Old 03-08-2002, 04:59 AM

If you have the clutch pedal set up, this swap shouldnt be that hard. You should have lots to choose from.You could probably find a muncie, or a cheaper unit a saginaw, could be found at just about any swap meet. 4 spds came in everything from chevelles,corvettes to camaros of the early 80's i beleive.I think that a 5spd form a 3rd generation camaro will even go in without too much work ( Not sure though) But as far as the bell housing, if its from a small block or a big block it should work. look for a trans out of a car though.You could even mate a newer 6spd to it ( bell housing from weir hotrod products, hydraulic throw out bearing, shifter sit @ 4" back from original 4spd set up)More labour intensive, but not out of reach. The easiest swap would be a 4 spd, though .70 to 72 chevelles had a shifter which was mounted same as the rest but had a dog leg in the shifter handle, it allowed the shifter to be placed into a centered console.But for your application the shifter would poke through the floor just left of the trans tunnel.If you visit the year one sight you may even be able to get some pictures of this set up. They will also be able to sell you the proper shifter boot, cross shaft and pivot ball etc., to make it all original looking.Hope this helps .
good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.