4speed shifter - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2004, 11:30 PM

Last journal entry: dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

4speed shifter

i'm planning on putting a 4 speed trany, manual, behind the 350 i'm building for my 66 nova. the car is a 4 door so it has bench seats. i am wondering what i have to do to, say a Muncie, or other like trany to make the shifter reachable from the driver's seat. eventually the car will be equipped with racing harnesses so i need the shifter to be right there, not requiring me to move forward much to grab it. any suggestions?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2004, 05:03 AM
Last photo:

I would go with a Hurst Competition Plus shifter, they have a bolt on shifter handle that can be extended with another piece. That added piece can be shaped to whatever shape you ned to clear he seat.

Vince
Old 08-06-2004, 09:54 AM

Last photo:

i found the comp plus shifter in Summit but it doesn't have the installation kit that they say is required. where can i find that installation kit? i also saw the summit universal 4 speed shifter on the same page, it's a bit cheaper and says it comes with the mounting hardware needed, it also looks like the knob comes off so i could add what i needed in terms of length. anyone got a favorite and a reason why?
Old 08-07-2004, 03:51 AM

Hurst makes various handles for their Competiton Plus shifters and lists them in their books and on their website. Go to www.Mr.Gasket.com and go to the Hurst section and you should be able to find a handle that will clear a bench seat. I know they make them as I still have one of the curved handles in my possesion and used it in a bench seat 72 Chevelle that I had back in the late 70's.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:38 PM
Last photo:

Stay away from anything that is universal, especially if it is sold by Summit.

Vince
Old 08-07-2004, 09:02 PM

Last photo:

why? and is taking the shifter setup out of a bench seat car an option?
Old 08-08-2004, 02:34 AM

Shifter in Nova

I suggest you go to stevesnovasite and ask . Those guys are running this set-up at least someone will be ; they can save you all the guess work and floor cutting by giving you thr right measurements and tell you which shift handle to order to conform to the bench seat. The Hurst is expensive but proven. A street shifter doesnt have to be the quality of a race shifter so maybe the cheaper one will work for you , but if your going to bang shift or ram it hard Id say get the Hurst. I used to run a Ram-Rod by Hurst in my 55 : a straight line shifter with thicker rods that would not bend , it went forward and back no h pattern , with reverse lock-out . That shifter could win races ; no wasted motion and a very short stroke ; I ran it on the street but I would prefer the Competition Plus for street. The C.Plus will practically pop in gear with the spring load systym : smooth as butter . I cant say about the other companys .
Old 08-08-2004, 11:53 AM

Last photo:

does any one have any info, reviews, on Hurst's V-Gate 2 inline manual shifters.

Last edited by hotrod66_57; 08-08-2004 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:54 PM

4 speed shifter

Another important piece that I hope is already on the Munsey is the side bracket that the shifter assembly bolts to ; with two bolts. There are a couple different places on the side of the trans one farther back than the other. I still think the people on stevesnovasite can answer all your questions.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:50 AM

The V-Gate 2 is a good shifter but unless you get real good with it it's not very street friendly. I had one in my GTO for awhile and liked it, no missing gears with it unless you're really bad at shifting gears. You will need to do more cutting to install a V-Gate than a Competition Plus and you will a special boot for the V-Gate. Whether it'll clear a bench set or not I can't tell you as I have buckets in my GTO.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:14 AM

Last photo:

well even with my 3 speed cloume shift i rarely missed gears, even on quick shifts, and i would rather have a unique (for around here) shifter and not be as street friendly than have a run of the mill H pattern and not do as well on race day. how far back on the trany does, did the V-gate sit? i found the shift patten on a web site but how does it go with the trigger? when is it used and is it easy to get used to?

Last edited by hotrod66_57; 08-09-2004 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:10 AM

The trigger (I call them finger rings) are used when you put the trans in first. You pull up on it and shove the shifter straight forward and turn loose of it, pull straight back for 2nd, straight ahead for 3rd and straight back for 4th. Reverse can only be used when the stick is in neutral and cannot be used otherwise. The shifter mount sits high on the transmission in the stock shifter location and is held in place by three bolts and you have to check to make sure the shifter rods don't rub the transmission tunnel
Old 08-09-2004, 12:00 PM

Last photo:

thanks, i was trying to figure that out. is it relitivly easy to down shift or is that not an option?
Old 08-09-2004, 05:47 PM

When you go to downshift just push the shifter straight ahead to 3rd and then when you go to 2nd you pull up on the trigger and pull back and same with 1st, just hold the trigger up and shove straight ahead. From 4th to 1st just pull up on the trigger and shove the stick straight forward. I ran one in my GTO for close to 2 years and still have it and will probably put it back in after I get my new engine built, and get the car back together as I plan on taking it apart this winter to start a restification on it. It'll appear stock bu tnot run like it.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:30 PM

4 speed shifter

The Vertigate shifter works like the old Hurst Ram - Rod shifter , I believe Mr Gasket used to sale those . Now I guess Hurst and Mr Gasket are the same co.. truly race shifters and good ones , cant miss aaa gear , separate small shift handle for reverse on the side . Pull lever with index and middle finger to put in first , take off then let go of lever , come straight back to second , forward third and back to fourth . Smooth strong shifters . I dont think they make the Ram -Rod anymore . These shifters arent going to fit to your bench seat . You need a shifter with a curved back handle; those shifters are only going to work straight up. They are not easy to shift on the street especially in traffic but Ive used them and the Plus is a lot better for street or theres the Hurst Super shifter which has the thick shift rods like the Ram and Vertigae , they dont bend .

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.