The 4th - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 02:37 PM
Marcel

Last journal entry: Choo-choo town
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The 4th

Need some help guys and dolls.
I'm wanting to smoke a deer (venison) leg quarter for the 4 th and I was wondering if any of you have a concoction for soaking the leg in pryer to smoking to remove the wild taste. I've tasted some so close to beef you could almost hear the moo. thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2008, 02:43 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Some people soak deer meat in milk overnight ( inthe refrigerator) I always soak mine in apple cider.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:52 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

We eat lots of venison and have for many many years, however, I like the taste and question the word "wild taste". To me the "wild" is caused by poor skinning and processing after the kill and if that is what you are speaking of then you might as well throw it away.

Now, with all that said, here is how I would cook the leg quarter.

First of all venison is a very dry meat so "wet" smoking is the best way to fix a large portion like a hind quarter.

I don't know what kind of smoker you have but if it is one that you can use a water pan with, then you are in for some gormet "fixins".

Rinse very thoroughly with cold water, remove any membrane that is on the outside and pat dry.

The night before you plan on cooking/smoking the meat, rub it down liberally with a good "Q" rub - - (there are many to choose from) - - - I like to pick up a Cajun injector and follow the directions prior to rubbing but this is also a preferred taste thing.

Get your charcoal white and fill your water pan with water, apple juice (?cider?), cut up an onion and put it in the water pan along with some green peppers (jalapenos ) and a couple of tbsps of worcheshire.

Place meat above the water pan or if you have a fire at one end then put the water pan between the fire and the meat.

When the meat is in place, lay strips of bacon all over the top side and cook on low "wet" heat until done. You can remove the bacon and turn venison over right at the finish to get a crust on all sides if you want.

(Footnote: the sinuey tendon part at the small tapered end will be the least tasty so concentrate on serving thin slices from the heavier "hammy" end)

Good Luck,
WR
Old 06-25-2008, 07:17 PM
Marcel

Last photo:

smoking venison

Thanks guys, I have a gas fired smoker with a water pan and a cast iron box for apple wood chips that I cut from my blown down apple tree. I set my table saw up with the fence 1/4 in from the blade and just slice out chips. Let them dry and soak them good before using them. I cooked some Cornish hen that would make you want to slap your ex.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanierledford
Thanks guys, I have a gas fired smoker with a water pan and a cast iron box for apple wood chips that I cut from my blown down apple tree. I set my table saw up with the fence 1/4 in from the blade and just slice out chips. Let them dry and soak them good before using them. I cooked some Cornish hen that would make you want to slap your ex.
oh, Man, you got it going on with the gas and the water - - you have so much more control of the heat that way - - that apple should make that venison scream "EAT ME"

what time do you want us there ???
Old 06-25-2008, 08:58 PM
Viva la Migra!!

Last photo:

Well , this is a concoction passed down to me through 4 generations of redneckology.
If you can get your hands on any 'rough' oranges ( sour/wild oranges - the ones that have the HUGE thorns on the tree ) , get one. You'll need it.
Cut 1 rough orange into quarters , squeeze the juice into a bowl . Save the rind/pulp for later.
add to the bowl of juice : 1 tsp. of salt. 1 tsp. of garlic powder. 1/2 tsp. of pepper. 3 tbsps. of grape jelly.1/2 tsp. of sugar. 1 tsp. of onion powder.
stir well.
stab the leg a few dozen times with a fork to put some entry points for the marinade.
Lay the venison in a tray that's deep enough to catch the marinade , then slowly pour the marinade over the 1/4 , until your bowl is empty. Take the rough orange quarters and dip one into the spilled-over sauce. rub the leg down , soak the orange , rub , soak until you feel you have the thing basted real good.
Once you're done with the cooking and it's ready to serve , try a little 50/50 combo sauce. 50% grape jelly and 50% "duck sauce" . Mix well and use it like cranberry sauce on thanksgiving.
I've been accused of "buying that meat at the store" by some good ol' boys who were hunters themselves.
My uncle taught me that marinade and it was taught to him by my grandpa and to him by his dad and so on.
It'll make that venison fall off the bone , keep it juicy and make it taste like nothing you've ever had before.
best of luck with it , and enjoy.
Mike
Old 06-26-2008, 06:52 AM
Marcel

Last photo:

The 4 th

this 4th cook out day was started because of my dad. If I didn't learn but one thing from him, it was that if someone left his house hungry, it was their fault.
All those cooks on TV have taught me a lot. I don't agree that it has to look good. If you think it does, try being blindfolded and taste things and tell me which one is the prettiest. There's not much more enjoyment in life that to really enjoy what you're eating.
We have what we call a wild game dinner at our church (only one-st a year) where the guys bring cooked wild game and or the fixing. (church supply the drinks). I one had the brain storm to take some shark after catching some in Fla. Well the joke was on me, everyone which try ed it liked it. I guess you can guess how happy that made me, loving to see people enjoy their selfs.
Its is surprising what people like and just want take the time to fix. Back before TV's and games and computers, people would set around under the shade of the old oak tree (or what they had) and shell peas, snap beans, peel apples, shuck corn while chatting with one another and visitors. The Lady's would be luck and get to stay indoors in the heat and can while enjoying each others company and talking about what ever.
Well, I guess we're in to much of a hurry to stop, or slow down and enjoy life.
Hope you guys (and dolls) remember the 4 th and enjoy it with your family and friend as we do. Its expensive, but worth every penny.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:23 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
this 4th cook out day was started because of my dad. If I didn't learn but one thing from him, it was that if someone left his house hungry, it was their fault.
All those cooks on TV have taught me a lot. I don't agree that it has to look good. If you think it does, try being blindfolded and taste things and tell me which one is the prettiest. There's not much more enjoyment in life that to really enjoy what you're eating.
We have what we call a wild game dinner at our church (only one-st a year) where the guys bring cooked wild game and or the fixing. (church supply the drinks). I one had the brain storm to take some shark after catching some in Fla. Well the joke was on me, everyone which try ed it liked it. I guess you can guess how happy that made me, loving to see people enjoy their selfs.
Its is surprising what people like and just want take the time to fix. Back before TV's and games and computers, people would set around under the shade of the old oak tree (or what they had) and shell peas, snap beans, peel apples, shuck corn while chatting with one another and visitors. The Lady's would be luck and get to stay indoors in the heat and can while enjoying each others company and talking about what ever.
Well, I guess we're in to much of a hurry to stop, or slow down and enjoy life.
Hope you guys (and dolls) remember the 4 th and enjoy it with your family and friend as we do. Its expensive, but worth every penny.
very well said - - - we sure could have used you on the Presidential Ticket this year - - darn it
Old 06-30-2008, 02:10 PM
Marcel

Last photo:

the 4th

O K WR , 79c10 and others,
Now I need some good recipes for homemade strawberry ice cream. I wouldn't let my 38 yr. old daughter help with the cooking so she wanting to make ice cream, any help welcomed. thanks
Old 06-30-2008, 02:53 PM

Last photo:

Lanier, toss in one cup of Strawberry Daquiri mix and two cups of chopped strawberries into a gallon of your best homemade vanilla recipe and let it swirl. I swear it's some of the best I've ever had.

Larry
Old 06-30-2008, 03:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
O K WR , 79c10 and others,
Now I need some good recipes for homemade strawberry ice cream. I wouldn't let my 38 yr. old daughter help with the cooking so she wanting to make ice cream, any help welcomed. thanks
OK, you asked for it - -
This is my Mom's old Ice Cream Recipe and when I asked her for it - - - she said "If I tell ya then I'll hafta shootcha"
But she told me and I escaped without injury - -

This is a Vanilla Recipe so just add chopped fresh or frozen Strawberrys according to whatever size freezer you are using. I think this recipe is for a 6 quart "old timey" hand crank with the kiddos sitting on the ice cream freezer - - lots of chunk salt and ice - - - dang you - - now I'm gonna hafta dig out my freezer

BTW, that suggestion from ColdKnock sounds like a good way to add the strawberry flavor. Also, I have not had any trouble finding the Junket Mix at H.E.B. Pantry Stores here in Texas and that is a real "plus" with this recipe along with the Eagle Brand Milk. droooooooollllllll
Old 06-30-2008, 03:41 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Home made ice cream is the best !!!! My machine can't make it fast enough.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
Home made ice cream is the best !!!! My machine can't make it fast enough.
10-4 - - -but why does homemade hurt your sinuses when you eat it fast and store bought don't
Old 07-04-2008, 01:56 PM

Last photo:

OK, Lanny, I know you're probably piggin' out right about now but, in a day or so, after you recover from all the food and fellowship - - WE want a "FULL" report .

Hope you're having a great Fourth,
wr
Old 07-04-2008, 03:11 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched ratchet
10-4 - - -but why does homemade hurt your sinuses when you eat it fast and store bought don't

They pump it full of air - you get volume but no weight (you know, the good stuff, like cream, sugar, vanilla) and the air heats up faster then the "good stuff". I did a non scientific test at the grocery store one day last fall. The Ben & Jerry's weighed ~1/3 more then the Edy's for a half gallon

(Yep, a 'dumb theory' is better then none - and now I'm hungry - and I ate the key lime pie for lunch )

Dave W

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.