4th gen (1993-2002) Firebird Seats - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2008, 10:50 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

4th gen (1993-2002) Firebird Seats

Hi-

Not too sure if anyone has experience with these seats on the board here....but thought I would ask anyway. I have some Leather seat covers taken from a 2000 trans AM. I was wondering if the 2000 covers will (or how much work to fit) fit a 1993-1996 Firebird leather seat frame and foam construction? I saw that the seat bottoms on the 1995 and 2000 are somewhat different in the leg bolster area and thigh area (length)...but I am wondering if with the addtion of a little bit of foam to the 1995 frame seat bottom area the 2000 covers will fit? The backs of the seats look pretty much identical from 1993-2002. Any info is appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2008, 11:38 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

I assume you want the Trans Am seats in the '95 Firebird, is that correct? A lot of the time GM (because they have so many divisions) used the same seat frames in cars of the same size, with only cosmetic changes to the actual covers. The same held true for Ford - Mercury and Chrysler, Dodge, & Plymouth (when there was a Plymouth) For example, the late model Chevy Monte Carlo and Grand Am bucket seats appear to be identical. It is possible the Trans Am seat might be the same or very similar to the Firebird seat with the differences being in the mounting brackets between the seat and the floor. The problem comes when the seam areas that were held down by wires and listings in older cars and Velcro in newer cars don't match. But why go through all that? If you have the entire Trans Am seats, you should be able to mount the 2000 Trans Am seats to the '95 Firebird mounting brackets.

Any chance you can take some pictures of both seats and post them?

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:52 PM

Last photo:

Here are a couple of pics. I have the 2000 leather seat covers (not seat just leather cover) already in hand. And I have an option to pick up some 1995 leather seats that are ripped. So I want to put my good 2000 leather covers on the 1995 seat.

If you look and the bottom part of the seats, you can see that the leg bolster and under knee portion of the bottom seats are different. White seat is 1999 and the grey seat is 1995 (under knee portion appears longer on 1995). the 1997-2002 seats are identical but the 1993-1996 seats are different in the lower portion as the photos show.

So I dont think the foam layout is the same on the bottom portion of the two seats. So I am not sure how easy it would be to modify (adding foam or whatever) the 1995 seat to accept the 2000 seat covers that I have. Plus the attachment points for the covers could be different as you mentioned.

The third white seat picture (farthest on the right) is also of a 1995 seat. I added it to the post later cause it can be enlarged.

THanks Dan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seat.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	30713   Click image for larger version

Name:	seat 2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	30714   Click image for larger version

Name:	95 seat.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	30715  
Attached Images

Last edited by esahlin; 06-18-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Can you attach the picture of the gray seat to a post again? I can't make the thumbnail enlarge. It looks like you might be in luck. It looks like it might only take a little modification to get the seat covers to fit. This is probably not something you want to try yourself, however.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:31 PM

Last photo:

Yeah, if I cant do it myself.....I'll just have to wait and keep my eyes open for some 1997-2002 seat cores so that I dont have to do any modifications. It wouldnt be cost effective for me if I have to take them to a pro and have the 1995 cores modded up.

THanks for the advice Dan...your pro opinion is much appreciated.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.