Hot Rod Forum banner

4x4 axle conversion ttb to solid front axle.

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  IanRiordan 
#1 ·
will a solid axle clear the front cross member (ttb mounting set up) with out a suspension lift? if not how much lift will i need?
hopefully theres some truck guys on here.
thanks

#2 ·
Well, generally yes. What year are you working on? The BRONCO?

The F-250/350 of that time period could be ordered with a solid drive axle, so you would just need to find one for all of the changeover parts (suspension-steering).

Regarding the 9" rear, most likely the transfer case will break before the rear. The DANA's are for heavier applications usually, although they are nice to have if the price is right... :thumbup:

#3 ·
I can get the dana 60's for 250.00 in 3.5:1, 3.73:1 limited slip, or 4.10:1 the bronco is an 83. the suspension mounting I was told is the same or very similer... I know I have to attach a panhard mount and since I dont have a front crossmember where the older trucks had it I will have to fab that all up. other than that I noticed that the radius arms mount to the trans cross member as well as the frame so I need to make a mount to simulate the stock crossmember. hmm sounds like fun wheelin.

#4 ·
Jared said:
I know I have to attach a panhard mount and since I dont have a front crossmember where the older trucks had it I will have to fab that all up. other than that I noticed that the radius arms mount to the trans cross member as well as the frame so I need to make a mount to simulate the stock crossmember. hmm sounds like fun wheelin.
It took me a few moments. You are going to stay with coils rather than leafs? Good diagrams are available from a FORD dealer off the CDP (parts computer). If you can find a good parts man, he should be able to let you look through the different setups over the years. I have a FORD TSB here that details cutting rivets and how to replace with proper Grade 8 hardware. You don't want to be cutting/fabbing against the rails. I would try and find all of the necessary brackets/bars off a donor rather than fabbing.

-TECH ARTICLE-DANA 60 Mounting-

-FORD TRUCK ENTHUSISTS-

[highlight]Am Looking For Factory/Aftermarket Speed Parts For The MEL (MERC-EDSEL-LINC-TBIRD) Engine Family (383-410-430-462) Produced From 1958 To 1968

Also Early FORD Special Service Tools[/highlight]

-Mercury-Edsel-Lincoln-

#6 ·
If you are going to swap a leaf sprung axle under the front of the Bronco, you will have to fabricate much less, and there is also a possibility of swapping stock parts from other years to direct fit what you need.

Only a possibility, as I am not nearly familiar with fords as I am with GM trucks.

I know of a few manufacturers making solid axle swap conversion kits that simply bolt on to the existing frame, but with that one I am only aware of up to the 1998 model year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.