4x4 woes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2005, 02:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

4x4 woes

yea, itsme again. with yetanother question about 4 wheel drive in my 85 s-10. it stopped working, and I havent a clue why... didnt make no sound, didnt shudder, nothin. it stopped engaging suddenly. it worked perfectly yesterday when I was pushing a car out of the way. and tday when i tried to engage it to go down a steep icy hill, it wount engage... I drove around for 2 hours thinking maybe it was frozen up and just needed to unthaw. it still dont work. so, I tried it in 4-low. 4-low works fine, except it dont turn the front wheels... how do I diagnose this? how does it work? is their 2 engagement points or just one? its automatic lock, no hubs...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

This has the shift lever on the floor correct? All you did is engage the transfer case but not the front axle, there is a servo under the battery, that normally fails, you may want to check this out.

Steve
Old 12-06-2005, 03:06 PM

Last photo:

correct it is the floor shift one. I checked the vacume canniseter/servo thing. it does suck in when I pull the lever. the light on the shift console comes on, saying its locked in. my expirience has been before, that its not always correct.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:07 PM
Almost an old guy...

Last photo:

Steve is right, on my 91 the vacuum servo is under the battery tray, I believe this was different in earlier years. There is a mechanical switch on the transfer case with I think 3 vacuum hoses running to it, this is what locks the front up when in 4 wheel drive. I've had that switch go bad twice on me and have since rigged up a manual switch to eliminate it and the long hoses. I would first suspect the switch or the hoses before I would the servo.

Lance
Old 12-06-2005, 03:11 PM
Almost an old guy...

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackflash
correct it is the floor shift one. I checked the vacume canniseter/servo thing. it does suck in when I pull the lever. the light on the shift console comes on, saying its locked in. my expirience has been before, that its not always correct.
OK, the indicator sensor is on the front diff if I remember right, right where the cable from the servo goes into the diff. Since it is seeing the cable pulled far enough to trip the sensor I would guess the end of the cable has broken off, or has disengaged from in the diff.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:16 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Chances are, the cable is just not pulling far enough to engage the gear in the front diff....check for vacuum leaks, lubricate the cable etc.

Budget RVs
Old 12-06-2005, 04:02 PM
26 modified

there is also a spring clip where the cable goes into the front axle. these clips like to break. if it breaks it will not engage. also as the others said, check the vacuum supply and the vacuum actuator. vacuum comes from a vacuum switch mounted on top of the transfer case on some s-10 models. if the switch sticks no vacuum will go the the actuator.
good luck.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:05 PM

Last photo:

ok, heres whatI got. the transfer case IS engaging. the vacume switch IS working. the cable ISNT busted or came off at either end. the servo has plenty of pull, and has extra travel to go if it needs to. right now i got a vise grips holding the cable in the pulled out position. it seems to me that it is pulled out all the way. I took off that plastic housing on the bottom and everything in there seems to be intact. all it is, is a thick steel rod that goes into the diff. I cant see anything else. so, what am i dealing with here? is there a linkage peice in there that can break? whats going on with this dam thing? btw, how far should the cable pull out? it only pulls out so far that I can just see a hex shaped flat spots on the rod, at the servo

Last edited by jackflash; 12-08-2005 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:28 PM

Last photo:

well, I found a problem with the front diff. the driver side drive flange, has came out. please tell me there is just a nut in there that holds the axle flange on... that i can put back on fron the outside....
Old 12-09-2005, 02:22 PM
Almost an old guy...

Last photo:

Sorry, from the exploded diagram it looks like a C clip, they call it a retaining ring. From the picture it looks like the whole assembly will come off the side of the diffy with the cover plate on that side.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:09 AM

Last photo:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d8...y/HPIM1706.jpg

the metal plate on the side will come out and i canf fush the clip out and put it back in? that would be awsome, i think. I donno exatcly how this diff setup is but I'd think, that if the clip came out something else must be broke? if you could take a picture of that diagram for me it would help alot, thanks
Old 12-10-2005, 06:09 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

You will have to take the cover off, chances are, the end of the shaft has broken off, where the groove is that the "C" clip fits into.

Budget RVs
Old 12-10-2005, 07:38 AM
Almost an old guy...

Last photo:

Wish I had a scanner for stuff like this. Heres a pic of the diagram, hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image001.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	8255  
Old 12-10-2005, 11:25 PM

Last photo:

according to that diagram, there isnt a c-clip on the end of the axle. but a retaining ring, and goes with the plate/seal assembly. so, does that mean that that plate holds the axle in? that, could be a really good thing. since Ihavent got a penny in my pocket...
Old 12-11-2005, 07:07 AM
Almost an old guy...

Last photo:

Looking at the diagram I believe that the sidecover/axle/bearings are one assembly. I'm just guessing, but it looks like you should be able to pull it all out of the side, replace the ring and put it back together fixed.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.