Hot Rod Forum banner

5.3 LS engine

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  cobalt327 
#1 ·
How are the 5.3 ls engines? I'm looking at buying a chevy truck with a 5.3 ls engine but it has 180,000 miles on it. I had the 6.0 and 8.1 and had no problems while i owned then for 160,00o miles. I've read that they have a metal head gasket so can the head gaskets blow on these engines or are they good for alot of miles? Any other info would be appreciated. I want to make a good purchase and the rest of the truck is in beautiful condition, i'm just a little worried about the mileage.

#3 ·
Personally I would run a compression check on it and check the oil pressure with a manual gauge . If you like what you see . Buy it . I haven't heard of anybody having any problems with a 5.3 yet . But , Hey with 180,000 miles anything can happen . Then again , anything can happen with a brand spankin' new one as well . I'd check Kelly blue book to make sure the price is right for the mileage , etc.

#5 ·
If there's an oil pressure gauge- there's your check (most have the gauge as I recall). Run a compression test and that's about all u can do. Those are good engines but 180000 is a lot for any gas engine. If he used good oil and changed it regularly you should be fine- but many people get the cheapest oil there is every 5000 miles... :( if you do get it be sure to clean the fuel system out and change the fuel filter- that's rarely done and it can cost you a pump at that mileage.

#6 ·
i have a 2002 Z71 with the 5.3 in it. bought it with 58000 miles and it now has 140000. still runs great like the day i bought it. i don't know what year yours is, but if it has the same tranny as mine you might want to have someone who knows about them check it. i think it's a 60al or something like that. i had mine go out at 109000. of course it had the 100000 mile warranty. damn the bad luck. the guy at the tranny shop told me he does them all the time. pretty common. other than that my truck has been great, no other problems.

#7 ·
bigdog7373 said:
Is there a simple quick way to run an oil pressure test? I don't want to piss the guy off by running a bunch of tests. I heard something about if you pull the oil cap of if oil comes out it's bad, or something like that.
As turbolover said , it should have an oil pressure gauge and if you just want to check for blow-by , you can remove the oil filler cap while it is running and there should not be any pressure blowing out. On a 'new' engine there is actually a slight vacuum at the oil filler caused by the pcv valve . That would be ideal , but no pressure is what you are looking for . Hit the throttle a time or two while you have the cap off also and watch for blow-by . I hope this helps .

#15 ·
The head gaskets ..

are MLS design..[M]ulti [l]ayer teel, and can take ALOT of abuse. Many 5.3, 6.0's w/ stock assemblies and turbos, blowers, making sky hi Hp. using factory mls gaskets.
When you are asking for history, maybe get the VIN # and ask a dlr to run a warranty history on it. A Carfax wouldn't hurt, either.
IMO, if the seller gets pi$$ed off about all the ??, let him hold it, and find another seller. :D

#17 ·
bigdog7373 said:
How are the 5.3 ls engines? I'm looking at buying a chevy truck with a 5.3 ls engine but it has 180,000 miles on it. I had the 6.0 and 8.1 and had no problems while i owned then for 160,00o miles. I've read that they have a metal head gasket so can the head gaskets blow on these engines or are they good for alot of miles? Any other info would be appreciated. I want to make a good purchase and the rest of the truck is in beautiful condition, i'm just a little worried about the mileage.
Any light truck w/almost 200K miles will have some issues- either already dealt with, or yet to be dealt with. I'd be less worried about the engine if I was able to test drive it and do a vacuum and compression or (preferably) a leak down test on it, along w/looking at the plugs, etc. I would be polite but firm on the tests- if he balks, there's your answer. Pass on it, there will be another one along in a minute.

Besides the engine, a bad trans would be as bad, cost-wise, as most anything else that could be wrong. But the "little" things that go- brakes, charging system (mainly battery and alternator), sensors, suspension and steering (shocks, bushings, bearings, idler, C/L, etc.) - that can nickel and dime you to death.

I'd rather see you find a lower mileage truck. But that said, if the price is right and everything passes muster you might have something. A LOT depends on how the truck was used. If it was a work truck, I'd probably pass. If it was a suburban drive to work and back deal, it might have a lot of life left in it. Check the bed for wear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.