Old 08-30-2010, 05:50 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373
How are the 5.3 ls engines? I'm looking at buying a chevy truck with a 5.3 ls engine but it has 180,000 miles on it. I had the 6.0 and 8.1 and had no problems while i owned then for 160,00o miles. I've read that they have a metal head gasket so can the head gaskets blow on these engines or are they good for alot of miles? Any other info would be appreciated. I want to make a good purchase and the rest of the truck is in beautiful condition, i'm just a little worried about the mileage.
Any light truck w/almost 200K miles will have some issues- either already dealt with, or yet to be dealt with. I'd be less worried about the engine if I was able to test drive it and do a vacuum and compression or (preferably) a leak down test on it, along w/looking at the plugs, etc. I would be polite but firm on the tests- if he balks, there's your answer. Pass on it, there will be another one along in a minute.

Besides the engine, a bad trans would be as bad, cost-wise, as most anything else that could be wrong. But the "little" things that go- brakes, charging system (mainly battery and alternator), sensors, suspension and steering (shocks, bushings, bearings, idler, C/L, etc.) - that can nickel and dime you to death.

I'd rather see you find a lower mileage truck. But that said, if the price is right and everything passes muster you might have something. A LOT depends on how the truck was used. If it was a work truck, I'd probably pass. If it was a suburban drive to work and back deal, it might have a lot of life left in it. Check the bed for wear.