5.3 ls vortec or lt1?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2012, 08:32 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

5.3 ls vortec or lt1??

Okay so instead of going the gen 1 style block with the carb. I want my next motor 2 b fuel injected with either one of these blocks. My questions is which block is the better of the 2. The 5.3 truck motor or the lt1 4rm a z28? I kno the 5.3 is lik: e a 327 ci block and the lt1 is a 350 ci block. So my assumtion will b a 350 lt1 should b stronger. Althought the ls1 is an aluminum block. I just want some people to help me figure out which would b a BETTER SWAP FOR PERFORMANCE. I have the choice between the 2 motors I am stating but am not sure which one has better benifits of doggin someone.

I have viewed this edelbrock intake which allows you to take these blocks and use a carb on them but I think id like 2 keep them stock as is. So give me some opinions lt1 or 5.3 vortec?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 08:41 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

The lt1 is an easier swap, the 5.3l is a better engine. The 5.3l will cost a little more but is better in every way except displacement.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:44 PM
More machine than man

Last journal entry: bwaahhaahahaaahhaa
Last photo:

The LS motor is better. The truck version of the 5.3 LS1 is an IRON block. The heads are still aluminum though. The LS motor is stronger than the LT motor.

What would make a better engine for performance? I guess that depends on how much messing around with the computer controls you want to do.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:42 PM

Last photo:

I was thinking of maybe buying tht carb intake 4 these blocks with the little ignition module up there. Does anybody think a quadrajet 750 atop of the intake is plausible(+ what I mention below about a possible NOS system.

Okay to help me out with opinions as much as possible ima let you in on the scoop.

I have a ls 5.3 truck motor up @ a friends house for free. I've seen the motor and it already has the ls1 style intakeand fuel rails. I haven't been back to look at it more then tht 1st time b4 I come back . I don't kno if the block will crank over or start or anything yet yet but just the fact tht its been offered 2 me for free ima see what happens.

My cousin just gave me a nos carb sprar bar (just have 2 find extra hose,the bottle and gaskets etc) so I'm itchin 2 see what that will be like on either the 5.3 mostly but on an lt1 block if this 5.3 doesn't crank up.

I think tht would b a good swap into Black Panther ,than 2 keep foolin around with those gas guzzlin gen I blocks
Old 05-16-2012, 06:03 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpanther68
I was thinking of maybe buying tht carb intake 4 these blocks with the little ignition module up there. Does anybody think a quadrajet 750 atop of the intake is plausible(+ what I mention below about a possible NOS system.
Why go through the work of putting one of those engines in your car if you're not going to take advantage of the fuel injection? As far as performance goes, the Vortec 5.3 is a truck engine and was never intended as a performance engine as delivered from the factory. While the LT1 was a hot engine in the 90s, by today's standards it isn't anything terribly special. These days there are a number of V6s that make more power.

As far as which is the better choice is up to you to decide. Both require their respective wiring harnesses and ECMs to run in the donor car. The LT1 will probably be the easier swap but the newer design of the 5.3 (especially the cylinder heads) would probably give it an edge in power potential.

Whichever engine you choose, consider leaving it almost entirely stock. If you get very far away from what the factory ECM is programmed for then you're going to have to spend at least $300 (probably more) on a custom tune from somebody like Blackbear Performance or ~$500 for custom programming software like LS1 Edit, HP Tuners, etc... if you choose to tune it yourself.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:49 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Slapping a carb on a stock lt1 or 5.3l vortec is plain dumb. The only change will be a worse tune and worse mileage. Its a losing proposition all around.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.