5.3 LSx for $175, great deal? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2010, 08:40 PM
Farm equip wasnt meant to fly

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

5.3 LSx for $175, great deal?

So, I found a 2002 LSx 5.3 truck motor locally for 175.00. The lady said her ex-husband was paid to pull out this 5.3 with 130K, and swap in a junkyard 5.3 with less miles, 2 1/2 months ago.

She was really nice, and said she drove this truck before the swap and it drove fine, with very little tapping noise from the engine, but otherwise it drove fine. She said she didnt understand why the owner wanted a different engine since this one ran fine.

She said her ex-husband left it there along with some other stuff, and she just wanted it gone.

Could be a great deal right?

After grabbing the crank and twisting it a bit, it did turn a bit so I could tell it wasnt frozen, so I bought it.

After I got it home, I pulled the pan. It looked decent, but a bit dirty, so I then pulled the plugs and turned it over with a socket on the crank. It turns over about 3/4 of the way past a couple of hard turning spots, and DEAD STOP. I turned it back the other way about 3/4 of the way past a couple of hard turning spots and DEAD STOP.

It wont turn past the DEAD STOP, and after going back and forth a couple times, the hard turning spots dont go away either.

Obviously it has worse problems than "very little tapping noise".

Timing chain jumped and pistons hit valves? Valve head broken/burned off and got into piston? Spark plug electrode broke off and got into piston/valves?

I will have to pull the heads to continue searching for the problem.

Moral of the story? Watch out for "really nice" ladys selling the ex's stuff.

I didnt get bit too bad, since I can part out some of it and scrap the rest if its trashed.

I know, I took a chance and got slightly bitten for a couple hundred. Poor me, right?

I guess the worst part is that I try to be completely honest with anyone I (rarely) sell parts to. Honest to a default even if it costs me money since Im not here to rip anyone off.

It mainly bothers me that she went to such an extent, and was very detailed in telling me how good it ran and how little noise it made.

Caveat Emptor. Even with nice ladies.

Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2010, 09:31 PM

Wow sounds like your in for a nasty one here. Hopefully there are no loose parts in the block. I have seen a good couple of those type of engines that one of the pistons start to shave into the cylinder wall. I would pull off heads first and go from there.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:05 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Even if the crank is shot (which it probably is) it's still a good deal, IMO. Put a crank kit in it, and grab an Edelbrock p/n 7118. It's an MSD ignition controller that also comes w/a dual plane intake for something like $650.

With a cam to go w/the above, you got yourself a good engine w/over 400 HP for somewhere around $1200-$1400 if you have a carb sitting around somewhere to use on it.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:42 AM

Last photo:

Savage yard price on those motors is between $400-$600 for a guaranteed running one.

They are good engines and with the same done done to a 5.7 LS1 they are about 10-15 hp less.

Jegs sells a 327 crate engine for $5000 with the GMPP intake and the MSD control Box.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.