5.3L Starting Hard - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2005, 04:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

5.3L Starting Hard

I am puzzled on this one. I have a 2000 Silverado with the 5300. The truck starts fine if the motor is dead cold or hot. However, if the engine sits for awhile and the temp is anywhere between 160 and 200, it hestates to start. I turns over and eventually will start, but hick up a little.

I am not sure if there could be a bad temp sensor and too much fuel is being dumped through the injectors? Any advise on this one would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Any service engine soon light? any other problems? how long has this done this?

Steve
Old 07-06-2005, 08:05 PM
400SBC4Life

Last photo:

did u check temp sensor yet............
are u running rich
is it time for a tune up
Old 07-10-2005, 02:46 PM

My check engine light has been on for some time now, and throws an evaporator system code. I found that by adding a bottle of dry gas every other fill-up, kept the check engine light from coming on. I am not sure why, but it seems to work.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:03 PM
400SBC4Life

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_SS10
My check engine light has been on for some time now, and throws an evaporator system code. I found that by adding a bottle of dry gas every other fill-up, kept the check engine light from coming on. I am not sure why, but it seems to work.
You might need a final cure
U need to find out what is the cause
do u need a major tune-up
with all filters and plugs,wires
Old 07-10-2005, 10:03 PM
NTI Grad.

Last photo:

if your SES light is on then you need to figure out why. and just dumping in dry gas isnt a cure. they put those lights on these cars for a reason and if they keep coming on you need to get it fixed. because 9 times out of 10 if the light is on and you keep running it, even though its running fine for now doesnt mean it'll still be running in the future. you'd be suprised at the people we get in with hundreds of dollars worth of repairs because they kept running it with the light on, and when you ask them how long the light was on they say "oh, only about 2 months" and you pull codes and figure out that it was only a $75 fix and now its turned into a 6 or $700 fix.

but, to answer your question... it sounds like your purge valve isnt working properly and its causing fumes to back up into your engine causing the hard start. or there is a blockage in the hoses leading to or from the purge solenoid. check for kinks in the hoses or blockages or cracks in the lines. and when you dump in the dry gas it soaks up the fumes from the tank just enough to not trip the SES light.

but for god sakes, get it fixed... i'd hate to see you spending 50Xs more to fix it later, then if you'd just fix it now. sorry if i sounded a little harsh up there at the top... i was just trying to get my point across.

well, good luck and hope i've helped!
Old 07-11-2005, 04:30 PM

I agree with fixing it. I was just chasing my tail trying to figure out why the dry gas kept the light from triggering and when the code just states evaporator system, it could be a thousand things. Now that it just began starting hard, I checked the codes again, and am now also getting a purge valve code. At least now I have somewhere to start diagnosing, instead of spending lots of $ on components in the system that turn out to be perfectly fine, especially with money being tight for me right now. The frist thing that I initially tried was the cheapest, replacing the gas cap, but that was not it.

Last night I bought the repair manual for the truck and am going to try to self diagnose what I can. I am pretty good with cars, but the evaporator system is new to me...repairing it.

Thanks for your advice.

Matt
Old 07-11-2005, 06:26 PM
NTI Grad.

Last photo:

damn... you shoulda told me you needed a book for it. i have one sittin right herefrom when i had my truck. same thing but a GMC.

yeah if that purge solenoid is bad its not getting all the fumes out of your system and they're backing up in the engine, causing to start hard. and when you put the dry gas in it soaked up most of the fumes to where it wouldnt trip a code.

i didnt mean to sound like a dick up there. i was just getting my point across...

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.