5.5 HP Sears 30 Gallon Compressor -- Proper (cheap) spray gun for FeatherFill? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2005, 12:34 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

5.5 HP Sears 30 Gallon Compressor -- Proper (cheap) spray gun for FeatherFill?

Hi all,

I am getting ready to do some body work for the first time. I need to spray FeatherFill G2 on a fiberglass body. I have a Sears 5.5HP 30 Gallon Compressor. Can someone recommend a good cheap gun that will match with my compressor?

I have seen some on ebay and Harbor Freight and read about some on this forum but I'm not sure which one matches up well with my compressor. Looking to spend under $100.

My understanding is that for FeatherFill I need a 2.0mm or 2.2mm tip. None of the Harbor Freight guns come with that size tip. Please point me to a cheap gun that will work with my compressor Thanks!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2005, 01:21 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

The Astro Gf 20s I think is about what you are looking for..Your jobber should have that one..

OMT
Old 12-16-2005, 09:03 AM

Last photo:

Tree, HP and tank size tell you just about zilch about a compressor what you need to check is the CFM rating and find a gun that has similar requirements. That compressor is really too small to even consider any serious painting with an HVLP gun but it should spray primer ok if you can find a gun with CFM requirements that are equal to or less than the compressor CFM rating.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:21 AM

Thanks for your replies.

OMT...Just took a look at that Astro. Looks like it may be perfect. 2.0mm and all. I have been told that a 2.3mm might be ideal for FeatrherFill...or do you think 2.0 will be fine? I do not want to have to thin it out.

oldred, I figured those specs might get me into the ballpark. I don't have the cfm specs for my particular compressor. I bought it about 3-4 years ago. I know the current replacement model from Sears has a 6hp motor and does about 8 cfm at 40 psi. My plan is to take my car as far as primer and then have a buddy of mine paint it at his shop.

Any other recommendations for a good, cheap primer gun that will work for me.

Thanks for any more input.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:58 AM

Last photo:

Tree, Sorry for beating on the same dead horse but you can't really use those HP numbers to compare to anything since they simply just lie about them. That is undoubtedly "peak" HP ratings and means absolutely nothing since this is simply a sales trick and they can twist that figure to mean anything they want. That 5.5 on the 30 gal is probably no more than 1 1/2 or maybe 2 HP at most and the 6 is usually only 3 to 3 1/2 actual HP. I know this may seem absurd but it is unfortunately true and they should not be allowed to get away with it but trust me they do If you start shopping for a new compressor IGNORE those phony "peak" or "maximum developed" HP numbers and look for the AMP rating(running AMPS not start-up) on the motor as that will tell the real power output and a real 5 HP should be rated around 28 AMPS. Really HP does mean all that much since CFM is what you should be concerned with and if the compressor's CFM rating is up to par then the motor power will be sized to match the setup. Also be aware that the latest compressor sales scam, and it IS a scam, is to give a ridiculous and phony "tank assisted CFM" rating. If you see this phony rating the only thing it means is that the compressor is underpowered and they are trying to trick you into thinking you are getting more than you really are DON'T FALL FOR IT!!

BTW, I use an old DeVillbiss HVLP with a 1.8 tip to spray Feather Fill and the 1.8 works just fine, for me anyway.

Last edited by oldred; 12-16-2005 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:04 AM

Wow, I really was not aware of this. I originally bought the compressor for use with my air tools and have had great results with it. I have a larger Ingersol impact gun for example and it seems to power that very well. I will look a little more closely at the motor itself. So you think if I were to purchase a gun like the Astro GF20 that was suggested above it simply will not work right?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.