5.56 Rod strength Vs 5.7 - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2008, 04:39 PM
ASE Certified Master Machinist

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: More Pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

You will be fine with the stock length rods. I built a 406 back in the 80's that was somewhat similar to the one in the CHP story, at least the short block, and ran the heck out of it for 3 years before selling it to go big block. Here are some stats.

Forged TRW 9.5-1 comp. pistons
Stock length 5.565 rods recond. w/ARP bolts
Stock crankshaft
Comp Camps 280 Magnum hydraulic. 230/230 @ .050 .480/.480 110 lobe sep.
186 Camel Hump heads (remember it was the 80's) 1.95/1.6 valves
Edelbrock Pro Ram II w/ 2 450cfm Holleys (9776)

I never spun it higher than 6000 rpm and it was bracket raced almost every weekend for 2 of the 3 years it was in my car.

The car was a 71 Camaro w/T400 and a 12 bolt w/4.10 gears. Besides the bracket racing, I drove it more than 400 miles one way to shows in other states on many occasions.

Oh, by the way. Did I mention the NOS cheater system that saw it's fair share of use.

Below is a pick of the engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sbctunnel.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	34414  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2008, 03:05 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I have been away from a computer for the past couple of days. Thanks everyone for your input.
Ron
Old 11-26-2008, 07:08 PM

Last photo:

I built a stock bottom end 400 this spring for my 82 Z-28 and I used the stock rods and crank. I did have new Speed Pro Hyper pistons pressed on the reconditioned rods with new ARP hardware installed. I used a Milodon stud kit in the bottom with studs for a windage tray. I am running Dart Pro 1 Aluminum 200cc heads with a retro hydraulic roller cam and lifters along with full roller rockers. Like you, I don't race the car, just have a lot of fun driving it and it runs strong and hard. I shift it 6000 when the need arises and so far, no problems, just a big ole smile when I am into it hard. Have fun..
Old 11-27-2008, 12:25 PM

Last photo:

The difference in rod ratios from 5.56 to 5.7 rod length is totally insignificant.
Unless you consider 6.0 rods the ratio is irrelavent, and then still not really good, just better.
Price to buy and assemble your rods should be your factor for using one or the other.

Your two carbs are perfect for your situation. Since they came new already calibrated for your setup, little if anything needs to be done.

Don't over cam your engine. You will hate it and wonder where your mid range went.
I suggest you avoid the dual pattern cams with lots of exhaust duration. That hurts down low to help a little up high, especially with the wide LSA they throw in to crutch the situation.
I think that you will be much more satisfied with a single pattern cam in the 224 to 230* range with a 108* LSA should give you a nice lopey idle and strong torque curve with easy shifting at 6000.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.