5 or 6 speed into a '33 Ford Coupe - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2002, 09:58 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 5 or 6 speed into a '33 Ford Coupe

I have a '33 Ford coupe with a 350/350 combination. I'm looking at swapping in a good overdrive manual transmission. Does anyone have any experience with this swap and/or suggestions?
I don't want to get too exotic with trans/engine adapters, nor do I want a shifter location that's so far to the rear that it's unusable.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2002, 10:24 AM

Last photo:

for a tranny that hooks up to a 350 in a hot rod i take it that i am correct in my assumption that the engine puts out more than 250 HP and that the car sees some hard driveing from time to time. there is only one transmission that i can think of that meet stour chriteria. The T-56 found in late model f-bodys. get one from a wreck with belhousing and cross-member, that way you have a x-member to modify and the need for adapters is nil.

the shifter is however a bit far back, as a fix for this i would mount an AC Cobra shifter style stick (just mount any hurst shifter the wrong way so that it goes forward instead than back..) and you have the right hot rod look (boot on the floor) and a double overdrive that will take upwards of 600 hp in a light car.

and as a third bennefit the 6,th gear .62 ratio will allow you to run 4.11 gears and still only turn arround 2200 rpm at 70 MPH depending on tyre choice.

hope it helps

Jakob
Old 09-04-2002, 04:34 PM

Stubby....If you're interested in putting a Richmond 6-speed in the thing I have a website bookmarked on installing one in a 'Vette. This guy explains everything thoroughly both verbally and with photos. The tranny is a pricey beast however...
Old 09-19-2002, 10:03 AM

TH350 Ratios
1st 2.52
2nd 1.52
3rd 1.00
O.D. 0.78 (Gear Vendors)
Reverse 1.93

The "early style" T56 ratios are not the same as the "late style"
1st 2.97
2nd 1.94
3rd 1.35
4th 1.00
5th 0.84
6th 0.62
Reverse 3.38

Also the late style is good for 450ft# of torque where the early are only good for 350ft#... The latestyle is the one to use!

1st 2.66
2nd 1.78
3rd 1.30
4th 1.00
5th 0.74
6th 0.50
Reverse 2.90

The .5:1.00 final is awesome...

Something you might want to think about is that a 6.14 rear gear w/ a late style T56 will give you about the same final drive ratio as a 3.08 w/ TH350 or other 1:1 transmission + you start w/ a lower 1st gear ratio to begin with too! This makes for "The best of both worlds"... in my opinion a 4.56:1.00 rear gear is the way to go... Your final drive allows a potential of right at 200mph @ 5,600rpm w/ 27" tall tires...

Later!
Wild Bill

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.