5.7 383 or 6.3 383 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: fayetteville,nc
Posts: 5
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5.7 383 or 6.3 383

what is the difference

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2008, 03:02 PM
SSedan64's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Macon, GA.
Age: 50
Posts: 6,016
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 46 Times in 46 Posts
5.7 is a 350
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Blazin72's Avatar
You got a leaky spark tube...
 
Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Union, WA
Age: 32
Posts: 2,868
Wiki Edits: 19

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
5.7 or 6.3?

Are you talking about Liters or rod length?

A 350 is 5.7L and a 383 would be about 6.3L
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2008, 03:32 PM
curtis73's Avatar
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
 
Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Carlisle, PA
Age: 40
Posts: 5,148
Wiki Edits: 16

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
5.7 refers to the liters of displacement. 5.7 liters is 350 cubic inches. 383 cubic inches is 6.3 liters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2008, 09:32 PM
Haulin327's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: S.D.Ca
Age: 56
Posts: 135
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can fix that-

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5blzr383
what is the difference
Pistons can be lighter with a longer rod but they may rock in there bores a little more... We have to keep a eye on rod weight as to not cancel out the bob-weight savings...crank counter weights can be lightend at that point and with a light flywheel or small dia. converter faster than normal engine response can be anticipated...
6.125 or so is about it for a 3.75 crank in a stock deck block... I would go 6 inch as you are not using super-shorty pistons.."tend to rock,burn oil,Race only...
Keep rod weight as lite as possibe...
all in all long-rod combos work in theary but to take full advantage You will have to have a stout wallet
Without the lite crank lite flywheel, and low gears and trick bob-weight style of balance job , the rewards of a trick long rod motor may not be met.....GO FOR 5.7 RODS.....
DR

Last edited by Haulin327; 05-03-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2008, 08:31 AM
CNC BLOCKS NE's Avatar
CNC Blocks Northeast
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NORTHEAST
Age: 54
Posts: 1,441
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haulin327
Pistons can be lighter with a longer rod but they may rock in there bores a little more... We have to keep a eye on rod weight as to not cancel out the bob-weight savings...crank counter weights can be lightend at that point and with a light flywheel or small dia. converter faster than normal engine response can be anticipated...
6.125 or so is about it for a 3.75 crank in a stock deck block... I would go 6 inch as you are not using super-shorty pistons.."tend to rock,burn oil,Race only...
Keep rod weight as lite as possibe...
all in all long-rod combos work in theary but to take full advantage You will have to have a stout wallet
Without the lite crank lite flywheel, and low gears and trick bob-weight style of balance job , the rewards of a trick long rod motor may not be met.....GO FOR 5.7 RODS.....
DR
We builds a lot of 6.250 rod engines and there not burning any oil and if pistons are rocking in the bore that much would they make some noise and we have 2 engines with 6.300 rods in them and no problems.

If a pistons is fitted to the cylinder right there should not be any problem with pistons rocking in the bores, Remember the pin is higher in the piston not lower and if there was this problem with oil burning and pistons rocking in the bores you should see signs of this on the skirts over shorter rod pistons or if they are rocking that much they would break.

If these problems you speak of were true the piston companies would not build them as the engines builder would stop using them if there was a problem with burning oil and pistons rocking.

Right now after 30 years of building eignes we have not seen any problems you speak about with using long rods.

Curious what engines do you build that are having these kind of problems with long rods??

I have some new pistons on the shelf I will look and see if there is a warning about this problem of oil burning and pistons rocking in the bores on long rod pistons.

We buy alot of rods and there is no differance in price from a Crower 5.7 to a 6.0 rod and the same with the pistons we can buy a Mahle piston for a 5.7 or a 6.0 rod for the same money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2008, 01:03 PM
curtis73's Avatar
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
 
Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Carlisle, PA
Age: 40
Posts: 5,148
Wiki Edits: 16

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
There are often minor benefits to longer rods, but usually higher cost. It also slightly limits your piston choices. There are hundreds of 5.7" pistons for 383 but much fewer for a 6.0" rod. Not very many at all for longer rods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Haulin327's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: S.D.Ca
Age: 56
Posts: 135
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS NE
We builds a lot of 6.250 rod engines and there not burning any oil and if pistons are rocking in the bore that much would they make some noise and we have 2 engines with 6.300 rods in them and no problems.

If a pistons is fitted to the cylinder right there should not be any problem with pistons rocking in the bores, Remember the pin is higher in the piston not lower and if there was this problem with oil burning and pistons rocking in the bores you should see signs of this on the skirts over shorter rod pistons or if they are rocking that much they would break.

If these problems you speak of were true the piston companies would not build them as the engines builder would stop using them if there was a problem with burning oil and pistons rocking.

Right now after 30 years of building eignes we have not seen any problems you speak about with using long rods.

Curious what engines do you build that are having these kind of problems with long rods??

I have some new pistons on the shelf I will look and see if there is a warning about this problem of oil burning and pistons rocking in the bores on long rod pistons.

We buy alot of rods and there is no differance in price from a Crower 5.7 to a 6.0 rod and the same with the pistons we can buy a Mahle piston for a 5.7 or a 6.0 rod for the same money.
sounds great!
How much $$$$$ for one of your shortblocks???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2008, 01:44 PM
CNC BLOCKS NE's Avatar
CNC Blocks Northeast
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NORTHEAST
Age: 54
Posts: 1,441
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73
There are often minor benefits to longer rods, but usually higher cost. It also slightly limits your piston choices. There are hundreds of 5.7" pistons for 383 but much fewer for a 6.0" rod. Not very many at all for longer rods.
Curtis maybe I am missing something here but I can buy a Scat 5.7 or a 6.0 rod for the same money and the same with a Wiseco or SRP or Diamond or Mahle piston 5.7 or 6.0.

But having to buy an weighted flywheel or flexplate and balancer cost quite a bit of money as well where you can use the balancer and flywheel or flex plate that came off your 350.

Most 5.560 and 5.7 rods and a 3.750 cranks are used the pistons are quite bit heavier and require exteranal balancing or if we have to add mallory to cranks to get them to balance internally which makes for a good money maker for us when we have to charge them for mallory and installation and when we charge them for a flywheel, flex plate and balancer its more profitable for us and not the customer. So there is a trade off !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: fayetteville,nc
Posts: 5
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5.7 383 0r 6.3 383

i was on summit but it has a 5.7L 383 and a 6.3L 383. i know a 350 is a 5.7L and i know about rods being 5.7 or 6.0 since i have built a 383 stroker. i just wondering how can therr be a smaller liter 383 than a 6.3

Last edited by k5blzr383; 05-04-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Blazin72's Avatar
You got a leaky spark tube...
 
Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Union, WA
Age: 32
Posts: 2,868
Wiki Edits: 19

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k5blzr383
i was on advance or summit one most likely summit but it hada 5.7L 383 and a 6.3L 383. i know a 350 is a 5.7L amd i know about rods being 5.7 or 6.0 since i have built a 383 stroker. i just wondering if there was another way that there could be a smaller liter 383 than a 6.3
No, liters and cubic inches are two different ways of expressing displacement. One uses the metric system and the other is the english system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: fayetteville,nc
Posts: 5
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5.7 Or 6.3

what is the difference in a long block and a short one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Deuce's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deuceland USA
Age: 66
Posts: 5,657
Wiki Edits: 6

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Long block has the heads installed

Short block = No heads

__________________


"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "






Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ok, here's the debate of the century: 383 or 400 chevy!! Cast your vote and reason killerformula Engine 303 03-28-2013 08:08 PM
5.565 or 5.7 Connecting Rods in 383 Chevy21 Engine 29 09-29-2008 05:25 PM
5.7 or 6.0 in a 383 280zxWith305 Engine 16 05-04-2008 09:32 AM
5.7 Vortec Mustangsaly Engine 6 12-07-2005 01:18 PM
383 Setup, need advice william27103 Engine 7 06-07-2004 09:57 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.