5.7 or 5.3 and 300 hp or 330hp vortec - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2013, 09:36 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

5.7 or 5.3 and 300 hp or 330hp vortec

Looks like that time has came where I need to figure out which vortec engine version I have ,what year and HP output I have.Today at the parts store I was trying to get get a thermostat and gasket for my motor. I tell the guy I have a 04 vortec 350 he tells me they stopped them in 99 but mine is a boat motor which they were still doing in 04.He tells me the thermostat gasket has a oring seal but again I have a boat motor plus I have a Pcm highrise intake and carb.So wouldn't I have a gasket just because I have pcmcia intake? Or would a boat motor have a seal or gasket? I haven't took my thermostat housing off yet but I can see RTV on it. The previous owner told me it was a vortec 04 350 from a boat but didn't know what boat. which I know it's a vortec because the center bolt valve covers and it has 8 bolts on the intake vs the original 350 intake that has 12 bolts. How can I tell if its a 5.7 and not a 5.3 and where are the casting numbers on it? They are not on the pass side in the front of the head on that pad. So I'm guessing in the back somewhere. I need to know how much power and what vortec I have. It feels strong because it moves my truck down the road in a hurry. I don't/ not going to pull the motor to I'd it.it does have iron heads on it.if anyone can point me to some numbers so I can I'd it I'll really appreciate it or a site where I can find the numbers to decode it myself

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2013, 09:36 AM

Last photo:

From your info I would guarantee you have a 5.7 vortec. From what you said it has the standard vortec intake with the 8 bolts like you said and the center bolt covers like they always have and with it having a carb. Now the 5.3 ls vortec can be given a carb but that is a special intake and its nothing like a old style chevy motor by any means and it also does not run a distributor and has a coil on each spot on the top of the valve covers each side. They look completely different. Now for horse power and that other stuff that I can't help you with but I am sure someone on here will be able to steer you in the right direction. Below is a picture showing how each are different. First one is the ls 5.3 and second is the vortec 5.7

http://image.superchevy.com/f/techni...dern-mouse.jpg

Indmar Remanufactured 5.7L GM Service Base Vortec V8 Marine Engine from $2499
Old 09-21-2013, 10:26 AM

Last photo:

I'm having the hardest time finding anything for this motor. Here's what's giving me troubled on this motor. For one I don't know if I'm suppose to be looking for parts for a 65 or parts for a 99 the last year they put a vortec 350 in a truck or parts for a 04 350 vortec from a boat which my motor is from.right now I'm looking for the holders that hold the spark plug wires so they are no touching the manifolds.The problem is the 99 vortec doesn't have spark plug wires it has coils.plus mine is carbed to boot.So do I need vortec from 99 or a 04 boat and if I go boat I'm carbed not efi what the boat has.I'm looking for coated headers,plug wire holders, march accessory brackets such as the pulleys, the alternator march bracket, I also need the thermostat gasket but the guy at the parts store said it has a seal not a gasket but since mine has a intake for a carb does that mean I use a old school gasket? Right now I can see RTV on my thermostat housing. Where and what do I look for
Old 09-21-2013, 06:35 PM

You mentioned of a pcm on intake. Big letters PCM on an aluminum intake? If so, it's one of our engines that we build and we go by hot stamp numbers. Let me know on this as i may be able to get the year of your engine.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:41 PM

Last photo:

Yes big Pcm on a alum intake. I appreciate your help sir
Old 09-21-2013, 06:51 PM

That engine may be a repower base that we still build today, but the 880 casting vortec is will be ending sometime soon. Could be from 1996 to today.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:55 PM

Last photo:

Where do I find the numbers at sir?
Old 09-21-2013, 07:04 PM

Should be a sticker on r/s of oil pan near the center. On this sticker is a long set of letters/ numbers. That is what i need. I have the same engine mildly built and in my 77 Camaro. These are truck engines and i have a 2000-2002 model.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:17 PM

Last photo:

I got under the truck looking for numbers.here is what I found on a metal tag on the side of the block next to the transmission bell housing and it has brass free out plugs.I couldn't make out the name on it only the numbers. If anyone can I'd this motor and maybe the HP rating I'd be one happy person.

Ser T1303757
Type 57FCPBYC

Product number 3858807 or 5

Old 09-21-2013, 08:28 PM

Wow, that's not our base, that's a Volvo-Penta w/ our intake on it. Still should be the regular 880 block, pm rods, 9.4 compression, vortec heads, marine roller grind, stainless steel head gaskets @ around 310-335 hp @ flywheel.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:32 PM

Last photo:

I seen 880 cast on the block sir.do you know how id be able to get the hp of it sir
Old 09-21-2013, 08:45 PM

The advertised hp rating would be from the boat it came from. But then their carb, intake, exhaust, previous fuel inj. and calibration all would determine that. You now have changed some of that so it's a guessing game to get exact. Sent you a pm on thermostat/ gasket that I use on my app. Harmon
Old 09-22-2013, 11:10 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Ricer View Post
Looks like that time has came where I need to figure out which vortec engine version I have ,what year and HP output I have.Today at the parts store I was trying to get get a thermostat and gasket for my motor. I tell the guy I have a 04 vortec 350 he tells me they stopped them in 99 but mine is a boat motor which they were still doing in 04.He tells me the thermostat gasket has a oring seal but again I have a boat motor plus I have a Pcm highrise intake and carb.So wouldn't I have a gasket just because I have pcmcia intake? Or would a boat motor have a seal or gasket? I haven't took my thermostat housing off yet but I can see RTV on it. The previous owner told me it was a vortec 04 350 from a boat but didn't know what boat. which I know it's a vortec because the center bolt valve covers and it has 8 bolts on the intake vs the original 350 intake that has 12 bolts. How can I tell if its a 5.7 and not a 5.3 and where are the casting numbers on it? They are not on the pass side in the front of the head on that pad. So I'm guessing in the back somewhere. I need to know how much power and what vortec I have. It feels strong because it moves my truck down the road in a hurry. I don't/ not going to pull the motor to I'd it.it does have iron heads on it.if anyone can point me to some numbers so I can I'd it I'll really appreciate it or a site where I can find the numbers to decode it myself
5.3 will have aluminum heads, L31 has iron heads. They are markedly different.
or are you asking if its a GEN 1E Vortec 350 or a GEN 1E Vortec 305? Both will look identical externally, and both use teh same crankshaft and camshaft, but the 305 will have a 5.0 cast on it, the 350 will have 5.7 cast on it.

Vortec L31 started in 1996-2002 in North AMerican vans, 1996-2000 in trucks/SUV's and runs through 2013 in the marine world.

If its got L31 iron heads on it, its going to be roughly a 310-340hp engine. The intake/fueling will make the difference in final numbers., but they are all prestty close. The marine roller cam is usually the 196/206 431"/0.451"

The Vortec 350 in the trucks is rated at 255hp/330lb/ft torque, but thats SAE net, just dont get caught up in numbers as 255 sae net is about 310-320 hp. Basically the truck and the boat Vortec 350 are going to be very very close. You arent going to be able to get the actual power number from it, because you arent running the same exhaust or air intake that engine ran in the boat.

If you have a vortec 350, and you want a thermostat housing gasket, order it ofr a 1996-98 Vortec 350. Ordering parts for a 99 truck will usually get you GEN 3 Vortec 5.3 parts. There was no GEN 3 5.3 in 1996-98 so that will avoid the confusion. 1999 is a weird year. There were both theGMT 400 truck with its GEN 1E Vortec L30 305(5.0) and L31 350(5.7) and the GMT 800 truck with its GEn 3 4.8/5.3 engines. Most 1999 GMT400 style trucks were not 1/2 tons, they were 3/4 and 1 tons. In 2000 there was still GMT400 style 3/4 tons and 1 tons, but the only SUV that had a GEN 1E 5.7 was the Tahoe Limited.

If you want plug wiire seperators, order them for a centerbolt valve cover engine 1987-1998 truck, if they mount to the valve covers. I just build my own with multiple zip strips.

peace
Hog
Old 09-22-2013, 11:55 AM

Last photo:

I have the cast iron heads and the only numbers I found cast on the block was 880 sir.id be happy as hell if its 310-340hp at the flywheel
Old 09-23-2013, 09:59 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Ricer View Post
I have the cast iron heads and the only numbers I found cast on the block was 880 sir.id be happy as hell if its 310-340hp at the flywheel
Cool, you have a GEN 1E Vortec 350 with the 880 block.
#10243880 350...95-00...2 or 4 bolt...Vortec truck, Gen.I crate motors and "ZZ4", roller cam, one piece rear seal.

PM forged rods
nodular iron crank, stronger than cast iron crank (some crate engines used 1053 forged steel crank)
hypereutectic pistons

The GM 350 HO is rated at 330hp, has the same block, heads, crank, pistons etc as your engine, also has a flat tappet hydraulic cam 212/222 cam. It also runs a 4 bbl carb.

I'd say you are within 10hp or so of the 350HO engine if you have supporting exhaust with it.

Your heads are the highest flowing heads, iron or aluminum ever installed by GM on a production GEN 1 engine. Overshadowed by newer engines, teh Vortec 350 is an excellent all around engine with excellent low/mid rpm torque, throttle response and driveability. Guys in the 50's 60's would have killed for these heads.

peace
Hog

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.