Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 5 link vette suspension
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 08:12 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtkart
I have an 84 Chevette rear suspension that I am installing in a Model T. The 3rd member does not fasten solid to the frame. It has a wing that goes from side to side for location. There is a "C" member that is supposed to connect to the transmission that keeps the 3rd member in the correct position, keeping it from rotating up or down.

Aaron
no offence Aaron, clarefication-notorious said "mounted rigid.....for all practical purposes" the wing you refered to is called the "batwing" and has bushings where it bolts to the frame but i would say it is rigid for all PRACTICAL PURPOSES (does not move with suspension)

to the OP-- the C beam is the peice running foreward to the trans. i would just fab a new, shorter C beam out of steel to match the new shorter distance. forget the shock or anything else to control third member rotation, you want it "rigid" pointing straight at the trans, thats what the C beam is for. don't try to outengineer chevy, just make a shorter C beam that serves the same purpose.